Former President Ford to leave hospital Wednesday
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former President Gerald Ford is expected to leave a
Philadelphia hospital Wednesday morning following treatment for a mild stroke
and a mysterious swelling of the tongue. Ford was hospitalized at Hahnemann
University Hospital a week ago while attending the Republican National
Ford, accompanied by his wife Betty, daughter Susan Bales and the
hospital's Dr. Robert Schwartzman, will fly by private plane to the Ford's home
in Rancho Mirage, California.
Ford, shown here at the Republican convention, is expected to leave the hospital Wednesday.
The 87-year-old former president's condition remains "good," according to
Calvin McDowell, a long-time aide.
"He is actively moving around, has an excellent appetite and is in excellent spirits. He is excited about going home," McDowell told CNN in a phone interview.
McDowell said the former president is showing no after-effects of the stroke he suffered last week and that the problem with his tongue "is totally gone."
McDowell said he "could not detect any problems with (Ford's) speech." Ford remains on blood-thinning medication to prevent further strokes and antibiotics for the tongue infection. Doctors drained an abscess, but the "cause of the swelling remains a mystery," he said.
Ford told GOP presidential nominee George W. Bush during a hospital visit
last Thursday that he is eager to get out on the campaign trail. But aides
said Ford's public schedule has been canceled for at least the next three weeks, and will be limited after that.