Skip to main content
ad info

 
CNN.com    world > europe world map
CNN.com EUROPE:
Editions|myCNN|Video|Audio|News Brief|Free E-mail|Feedback  
 

Search


Search tips
WORLD
TOP STORIES

India tends to quake survivors

Sharon: Peace talks election ploy

Anti-Mugabe newspaper bombed

UAE quiz attempted hijacker

Garcia in Peru re-election bid

Thousands in Ethiopian protest rally

(MORE)

TOP STORIES

India tends to quake survivors

Arafat blasts Israel at Davos

Yugoslavia seeks U.N. help on rebels

Anti-Mugabe newspaper bombed

(MORE)

 MARKETS    1613 GMT, 12/28
5217.4
-25.00
5160.1
+42.97
4624.58
+33.42

 
SPORTS

(MORE)

 All Scoreboards
WEATHER
European Forecast

 Or choose another Region:
EUROPE

TECHNOLOGY

ENTERTAINMENT

  IN OTHER NEWS

U.S.

HEALTH

TRAVEL



(MORE HEADLINES)
*
EDITIONS:
CNN.com U.S.:

LOCAL LANGUAGES:


MULTIMEDIA:

CNN WEB SITES:

CNN NETWORKS:
CNN International

TIME INC. SITES:

SITE INFO:

WEB SERVICES:

Russia considers dragging sub to shallow water

capsule
The Russian capsule used in rescue attempts  

In this story:

'Hull destroyed in a moment'

'Subs are compatible'

RELATED STORIES, SITES icon



MURMANSK, Russia -- Russian officials say they are considering dragging the stricken nuclear submarine Kursk to shallow waters in an attempt to rescue the 118 crew members on board.

The plan was revealed as a Russian television journalist, reporting live from the Barents Sea, said weather conditions were improving as round-the-clock rescue efforts continued.

 VIDEO
CNN Moscow Bureau Chief Jill Dougherty joins Russian TV's coverage of the attempted submarine rescue

Play video
(QuickTime, Real or Windows Media)

Watch a Russian TV broadcast from the site with CNN English translation (Russian TV is a government-owned station)

Play video
(QuickTime, Real or Windows Media)

CNN exclusive: Two Norwegians fly into restricted air space to photograph the Russian submarine rescue scene

Play video
(QuickTime, Real or Windows Media)
 
  ALSO
 
  • Submarine drama: A no-win proposition for Putin?
  • How glider enthusiast may help save Kursk
  • Norwegian camera team captures images of submarine rescue operation
  • What sank the Russian sub?
  •  

    A senior Russian military official has also said the 118 sailors on board Kursk could survive for two more weeks before their oxygen runs out.

    However, Russia's state RTR television said in the first report from a rescue ship that some of the crew might have died over the weekend when the sub sank.

    The 14,000-ton Kursk has been stranded about 107 metres (350 feet) below the surface since last Saturday following a major disaster -- thought to have been caused by a collision or explosion.

    Russian Deputy Prime Minister Ilya Klebanov said the plan to move the submarine was just one being considered. He added that Russia had asked Britain for help with the rescue operation as early as Monday -- contradicting some reports that no outside help had been requested.

    'Hull destroyed in a moment'

    Russian rescuers tried -- and failed -- four times on Wednesday night to attach a diving bell to the escape hatch of the submarine.

    The RTR reporter said a film taken by a deep-water rescue capsule showed the Kursk submarine had suffered severe damage to its front section, adding that some of the 118 crew must have died in the accident.

    "The submarine, we can say now, has suffered severe damage, very serious damage in the front section. Water flooded the front in a flash and the command centre, I mean the hull, was destroyed in a moment," the correspondent said from a ship on the Barents Sea.

    However, he said there was optimism that some of the sailors were still alive, and he confirmed that positive contact was made soon after the Kursk sank to the bottom of the icy sea.

    He quoted rescuers as saying they heard knocking from inside the stranded submarine on the first day of the search. Since then, he reports, there have been no signs of life.

    Though no contact has been made since, that may be because the crew are "lying low" to conserve the limited supplies of oxygen, journalist Arkady Mamontov said in an interview broadcast live on CNN.

    quote
    From: CNN Submarine Rescue Message Board -- Add Your Comments

    Mamontov was invited by the Russian Navy to report live from the command ship Peter the Great. As he spoke two Russian rescue craft were continuing efforts to reach the Kursk.

    But he expressed fears that the British undersea rescue craft which is travelling to the scene may not be compatible to assist in the rescue efforts.

    He said: "The (British) rescue vessel is very good but the hatches of the Kursk submarine may be different, and whether we can make it possible so we can provide ideal contact is still a question no one can answer.

    "It is one thing we have not looked into in great detail. It is possible it will not work."

    'Subs are compatible'

    But the Deputy Chief of Staff for the Russian Navy, Vice Admiral Alexandr Pobozhy, confirmed that the LR5 was capable of latching onto the sub.

    He also said the hatch could be opened from the outside, without the assistance of anyone inside the submarine.

    Pobozhy, speaking from NATO headquarters in Brussels, agreed that there should be enough oxygen on board for the crew to survive.

    "In the experience we have in the Soviet submarine forces, they can survive between two and three weeks," he said.

    crewman
    Crewman on the command ship Peter the Great  

    "In my personal opinion, there is quite enough oxygen on board for the time being. We hope there will be enough oxygen while we mount the rescue operation."

    The British said the Russian submarine had suffered extensive damage from a high-energy explosion from the bow to the first fin, rendering the forward escape hatch unusable.

    A British LR5 minisub left the Norway port of Trondheim on Thursday aboard its mother ship the Normand Pioneer. The rescue craft was not expected to arrive until Saturday afternoon.

    A Norwegian diving team was expected to take even longer, not reaching the scene until early Monday, but the LR5 will be able to make initial rescue attempts without their assistance.



    RELATED STORIES:
    What sank the Russian sub?
    August 17, 2000
    LR5: The world's most advanced submarine rescue craft
    August 16, 2000
    Agonising wait of sailors' families
    August 16, 2000
    Damaged nuclear sub 'poses threat to environment'
    August 16, 2000
    Britain rushes rescue craft to aid Russian sub
    August 16, 2000
    Submarine disaster deals setback to Putin
    August 15, 2000

    RELATED SITES:
    UK Ministry of Defence
    Perry Slingsby Systems: LR5 manufacturers
    World Navies Today: Russian Submarines
    Jane's Information Group
    Russian Government
    NATO

    Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
    External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

     Search   

    Back to the top  © 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
    Terms under which this service is provided to you.
    Read our privacy guidelines.