Skip to main content /HEALTH with /HEALTH

Official: Sony employee not exposed to anthrax

CULVER CITY, California (CNN) -- A Sony Pictures employee who opened an envelope containing a white powdery substance was not exposed to anthrax as initially feared, a company spokeswoman said Saturday.

 If you receive a suspicious package:
  • Handle with care; don't shake or bump
  • Isolate and look for indicators
  • Don't open, smell or taste
  • Treat it as a suspect; call 911

    Source: FBI

    Dr. Sanjay Gupta: What is anthrax? 
    10 things you need to know about anthrax 

    The employee was admitted to Brotman Medical Center on Friday for blood tests but was sent home shortly thereafter, the Sony spokeswoman said.

    The man, whose name was not released, opened an envelope at Sony Pictures' Culver City studios Friday evening, Culver City Police Lt. Dave Tarkenson said. "When he opened it, he took an item out and got a white powdery substance on his hands," he added.

    Concerned, the man went to the studio's medical clinic. Officials there contacted the local police and fire departments, who treated it as a hazardous material situation, Tankenson said. The man then was taken to the hospital, where he was examined Friday night, he said.

    The Culver City Fire Department showed up at the studios to test the substance but could find no powder, the Sony spokeswoman said.

    Authorities said they couldn't explain what happened to the powder.


    See related sites about Health
    Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
    External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.



    Back to the top