Skip to main content /HEALTH with /HEALTH

Another N.Y. media staffer may have anthrax

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Mayor Rudy Giuliani said Friday there is another possible case of skin anthrax in New York involving a member of the news media.

The mayor and the city's health commissioner Neal Cohen said they are awaiting test results on the man who, even if he tests positive, is showing no signs of the disease and has been taking antibiotics for several weeks.

Neither the man's name nor the name of the media outlet where he works is being released. The officials did say it is a different news outlet than others in New York where anthrax has been found or suspected. Employees at CBS, NBC and the New York Post have contracted skin anthrax. A baby of an employee at ABC also has tested positive for skin anthrax.

The officials said the man in the latest possible case discovered lesions on September 23, went to the doctor for blood tests on October 12 and started taking antibiotics at that time. For unknown reasons, the laboratory was unable to do a test for anthrax of the man's blood, the officials said. Earlier this week, he went to another doctor and had new tests to see whether he had skin anthrax.

The officials emphasized that the man no longer exhibits symptoms.


See related sites about Health
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.



Back to the top