Skip to main content /US
CNN.com /US
SERVICES
CNN TV
EDITIONS


COMPLETE COVERAGE | FRONT LINES | AMERICA AT HOME | INTERACTIVES »

Terror alert extended through Jan. 2

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A national warning and corporate security advisory about possible terrorist attacks have been extended through January 2.

A spokesman for Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge said the national warning issued December 3 continues in effect because the threat -- regarded as "credible but non-specific" -- still exists.

"Because of the confluence of holidays this time of year, including Ramadan, Hanukkah, Christmas and New Year's, we want to make sure everyone stays vigilant," said Homeland Security spokesman Gordon Johnroe.

CNN has obtained a government communication stating "reports from reliable sources indicate some movement of extremists into Europe and the Middle East. These may be indicators of pending attacks" against undetermined targets inside or outside the United States.

A government official told CNN the FBI has sent an advisory to corporate security professionals nationwide extending the warning from earlier this month through January 2.

The advisory is part of the FBI's program called Awareness of National Security Issues and Response.

Johnroe said some people were under the impression the alert announced December 3 ended December 15 at the close of Ramadan, but that was not the case.

Johnroe acknowledged an end date for a high alert period has never been given before. He said Ridge plans to reassess whether the high alert would be extended beyond January 2. No announcements are planned before then, he said.



 
 
 
 


RELATED STORIES:
RELATED SITES:
• Office of Homeland Security
• Federal Bureau of Investigation

Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

U.S. TOP STORIES:

 Search   

Back to the top