Afghan official: Convoy had 4 al Qaeda members
KABUL, Afghanistan (CNN) -- A member of Afghanistan's interim government said Monday that four Arab al Qaeda members were in a convoy struck by U.S. warplanes last week.
Amanullah Zadran, minister of border affairs, said Stinger missiles and anti-aircraft weapons were fired from the convoy. U.S. warplanes fired back, Zadran said.
Fifty to 60 people were killed when U.S. planes attacked the convoy Friday night in eastern Afghanistan.
A controversy arose over the identities of people in the convoy.
The Pentagon said the convoy was carrying al Qaeda or Taliban leaders, and a senior Pentagon official said it "was a valid target."
Another member of Afghanistan's interim government had said that the bombing killed delegates traveling to Kabul for the new government's installation.
Afghan official: U.S. strike hits tribal delegates
December 22, 2001
See related sites about World
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
WORLD TOP STORIES:
|Back to the top|