Skip to main content /WORLD
CNN.com /WORLD
SERVICES
CNN TV
EDITIONS


Queen to donate to victims fund

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is making a donation to the fund for victims of the U.S. hijack attacks.

The queen was "deeply affected" by last week's atrocities, Buckingham Palace said. It is believed the undisclosed donation will go to the World Trade Center Disaster Fund.

Queen Elizabeth II and her family have shown strong support for the United States and its citizens since the attacks.

Earlier this week, Prince Charles and his eldest son Prince William signed a book of condolences in Scotland.

On Thursday, at a prayer service in St. Thomas' Church in New York, the British ambassador to Washington, Sir Christopher Meyer, read a special message from the queen.

"Nothing that can be said can begin to take away the anguish and the pain of these moments. Grief is the price we pay for love," the message said.

The previous week, the queen appeared tearful as she left a service of remembrance at St. Paul's Cathedral in London, where the British and U.S. national anthems were played.

The Star-Spangled Banner was also played at the queen's order by the Coldstream Guards during a special Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace two days after the attacks.

During his speech to Congress, U.S. President George W. Bush said the American people would never forget the queen's gestures.





RELATED STORIES:
• Silence as Europe mourns dead
September 14, 2001
• World shares U.S. grief
September 14, 2001
• Europe reacts with shock and horror
September 12, 2001

RELATED SITE:
• British Monarchy

Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

WORLD TOP STORIES:

 Search   

Back to the top