Bali bombings probe deepens
KUTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- Two Indonesians are being questioned for a second day by Indonesian police in connection with a deadly attack in Bali that killed nearly 200 people and which many believe was carried out by an extremist group linked to al Qaeda.
Officials say traces of C4 explosives were found at the blast site -- the same type used two years ago in a deadly attack in Jakarta blamed on al Qaeda-linked Indonesian extremist group Jemaah Islamiah (JI).
The August 2000 bombing outside the Philippine ambassador's home killed two people.
This, coupled with information from American and other intelligence officials, has added to mounting speculation that JI may have been involved in the Bali bombings.
Meanwhile, Bali's police chief has refused to deny or confirm a newspaper report that a former air force member had confessed to building the bombs.
"Later that information will be developed. I will give that to investigators," Budi Setyawan told journalists, Reuters news agency reported. "We will develop that," he said when asked whether he could confirm or deny the Washington Post report.
Citing an unnamed Indonesian security official, the Post said that the suspect regretted the loss of life but would not disclose who ordered him to make the bomb.
No one has claimed responsibility for the bombings.
Indonesia's national police chief Dai Bahtiar said that one of the men being interrogated is a Balinese man who reported seeing someone enter Paddi's nightclub in Kuta Beach, across the street from the Sari Club, and put down a white plastic bag.
Moments later there was a small explosion there, followed soon after by a huge car bomb in front of Sari's, where most of the victims died.
The other man being questioned is the only surviving security guard at Sari's, officials said.
Authorities are also talking to the relatives of two Indonesian men, said to be from East Java and Lombok, whose identity cards were found in the rubble but who have not been located.
Intelligence and forensic experts from Indonesia, the United States, Japan and Australia combed through the charred debris on Wednesday, looking for clues from the worst terrorist attack since September 11.
Authorities said the explosives that leveled a block in the tourist district were planted in a car. Police said they hadn't determined whether it was a suicide bombing.
In other developments:
They believe that only these groups together have the organizational capabilities and motivation to carry out what appears to have been a series of coordinated bombings. (Who bombed Bali?)
Identifying the dead
Doctors and morgue volunteers say they are finding it increasingly difficult to put names to the scores of unidentified dead found in and around the Kuta nightclubs.
They say many of those killed in the attack on the Sari Club were either burned beyond recognition or blown to pieces by the massive force of the huge car bomb.
On Wednesday, the death toll was nearing 200, but only a relatively small number of the bodies had been positively identified.
Thirty three Australians have been confirmed dead and 140 are unaccounted for, the Australian government has said, adding that not all of those are assumed to be fatalities. (Death toll: Country breakdown)