Skip to main content
CNN International EditionWorld
The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
ON TV
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Iraq Banner

Motive a mystery in fatal grenade attack

U.S. platoon sergeant being held

Grenade attack suspect Sgt. Asan Akbar taken into custody.
Grenade attack suspect Sgt. Asan Akbar taken into custody.

Story Tools

more video VIDEO
U.S. military investigators are trying to find out what might have prompted a disgruntled platoon sergeant attached to the 101st Airborne to turn on his own. CNN's Aaron Brown reports (March 24)
premium content
SPECIAL REPORT
•  Commanders: U.S. | Iraq
•  Weapons: 3D Models

CAMP PENNSYLVANIA, Kuwait (CNN) -- U.S. military investigators are trying to find out what prompted a disgruntled platoon sergeant to turn on his own, allegedly lobbing four grenades at tents of the 101st Airborne Division's 1st Brigade, killing one soldier and wounding 15 others in northern Kuwait, officials said Sunday.

The suspect -- identified as Sgt. Asan Akbar with the 326th Engineer Battalion of the 101st -- remains in custody of the military and could be sent back to the division's base in Fort Campbell, Kentucky, for military proceedings, officials said.

Akbar -- described as a disgruntled platoon sergeant with an "attitude problem" -- was in an engineering unit guarding grenades just before the incident Sunday at about 1:45 a.m.

Akbar allegedly left his post and first cut off a generator, shutting off power to the Tactical Operations Center, then began lobbing fragmentation grenades into three tents housing staff. Three grenades exploded and one was a dud, according to Wes Allison, a reporter with the St. Petersburg Times, who is embedded with troops at the camp.

Officers, who spoke on condition of anonymity to Allison, said Akbar apparently shot at those who tried to flee the tents after the initial explosions. Akbar was wounded in the back of a leg by a grenade fragment, Allison reported.

After the attack, officers said Akbar tried to mingle with soldiers running to the tents, but it was quickly determined he had been missing during the explosions. The officers said four grenades were missing from the area he was guarding, which was about 800 yards away from the attack site.

At Fort Campbell, George Heath, a spokesman for the 101st Airborne, said soon after the attack Akbar was "found during a subsequent Scud alert and has been detained."

Akbar was unable to account for four grenades, Heath said.

Attack shocks military

The incident sent shock waves through the military.

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said the investigation "will run its course" and "find out precisely what took place." He said he had "no idea" what would have prompted the attack, and he had no information to suggest more than one person was involved.

"The investigation will determine that, but I've heard no indication that there was any conspiracy," Rumsfeld said.

At the U.S. Central Command in Qatar, deputy commander Lt. Col. John Abizaid called the incident "very tragic, very unfortunate," and not indicative of a lack of morale among troops.

"I can assure you that morale is about as high as it can be," he said.

Soldier killed identified

The Pentagon identified the soldier killed in the incident as Capt. Christopher Scott Seifert, 27. The names of those wounded have not been released.

"The investigation will determine what his (Akbar's) motive may have been," Heath said. "He was having what some people might call, it seems, an attitude problem."

He said if Akbar is "found to be guilty," then he would "be brought back to Fort Campbell for judicial punishment."

Heath said three of the wounded were in serious but stable condition and were to be transferred to Landstuhl Air Base in Germany. They would then be flown to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, before being brought back to Fort Campbell.

Allison reported that the 101st's operations center is intact and functioning.

Heath said the incident would not affect the mission at hand, "to support America's war on terrorism and to rid Iraq of a terrible dictator."


Story Tools
Click Here to try 4 Free Trial Issues of Time! cover
Top Stories
Iran poll to go to run-off
Top Stories
EU 'crisis' after summit failure
 
 
 
 

CNN US
On CNN TV E-mail Services CNN Mobile CNN AvantGo CNNtext Ad info Preferences
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.