Skip to main content
CNN International EditionWorld
>

BREAKING NEWS

Drone strike in Yemen kills at least 15 people, including 12 suspected al Qaeda militants, Yemeni Defense Ministry says.
Click here to skip to main content.
The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
ON TV
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Arafat's Fatah joins cease-fire

Israelis pull forces from northern Gaza

An Israeli soldier smiles as his armoured personnel carrier leaves the northern Gaza Strip town of Beit Hanoun.
An Israeli soldier smiles as his armoured personnel carrier leaves the northern Gaza Strip town of Beit Hanoun.

Story Tools

more video VIDEO
CNN's Jerrold Kessel reports on Israel's pull-back from northern Gaza
premium content

U.S. national security advisor Condoleezza Rice holds talks with Palestinian PM
premium content
Cease-fire conditions
•Israeli armed forces to suspend incursions
•Army to stop destroying the homes of suspected militants 
•Army to remove checkpoints in Gaza
•Free movement for Yasser Arafat
•Protection of Islamic holy places
•Palestinians in Israeli custody to be released
SPECIAL REPORT
• Interactive: Road map explainer
• Interactive: Timeline
• Map: Occupied lands
• Interactive: Key Players
• Gallery: Mideast lands

GAZA CITY (CNN) -- Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat's Fatah movement said Sunday evening it would stop all military actions against Israel, joining a cease-fire announced earlier by militant groups Islamic Jihad and Hamas.

Fatah released its statement shortly after Israeli troops began to leave northern Gaza, the first step toward handing over security chores in that region to the Palestinians. The Israelis completed their withdrawal from northern Gaza late Sunday, military sources said.

The Fatah announcement would apply to the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, the militant group aligned with it. Earlier, Hamas and Islamic Jihad released a statement agreeing to a three-month cease-fire.

Islamic Jihad, Hamas and the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades are on the U.S. State Department's list of terrorist organizations and have admitted attacks on Israelis.

The actions coincided with a visit to the region by U.S. national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, the third top U.S. official to visit the Mideast in the last month. President Bush and Secretary of State Colin Powell preceded her.

Fatah's announcement did not contain a time frame, although it referenced an Egyptian cease-fire initiative, which included a six-month truce.

But Israeli officials said a cease-fire signed by groups they consider terrorists would mean little unless the Palestinian Authority begins to crack down on the militant groups.

"It's not enough to have an internal truce between these groups and the Palestinian Authority," said Ra'anan Gissin, a senior adviser to Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. "They have to dismantle the terrorist groups and stop the incitement."

A small group of Palestinian militants, Gissin said, is keeping the rest of the Palestinian population from achieving peace.

Israeli Finance Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told CNN that Israeli intelligence had reports that Palestinian militants were planning more attacks against Israelis.

"Now we can't say right now if there's any letup in this, because we don't see it yet," the former prime minister said on Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer. "But we hope there will be, obviously a reduction, indeed an end to these things.

"The only way you can achieve that is by having the Palestinians do what President Bush has demand them to do, that is to take apart the terrorist organizations which launch the terrorists," he said.

Palestinian Cabinet member Ghassan Khatib told CNN he "can understand why Israeli officials are nervous ... because, if this is going to be successful, then the Israelis will be faced from their side with having to fulfill their obligations from the road map."

In Washington, White House spokeswoman Ashley Snee said there was "still more work to be done."

"Anything that reduces violence is a step in the right direction," she said. "Under the road map, parties have an obligation to dismantle terrorist infrastructures."

Although the cease-fire was to take effect immediately, the Islamic Jihad and Hamas statement contained several demands of Israel:

Palestinian Gen. Abdel Razek Majaide, left, shakes hands with Israeli Gen. Gadi Shamani following a meeting in Gaza Sunday.
Palestinian Gen. Abdel Razek Majaide, left, shakes hands with Israeli Gen. Gadi Shamani following a meeting in Gaza Sunday.

• An end to Israeli attacks against Palestinians, including assassination of Hamas and Islamic Jihad leaders, destruction of the homes of suspected militants, an end to incursions into Palestinian territory and a removal of Israeli checkpoints in Gaza;

• Protection of Islamic holy places;

• An end to the siege that has kept Arafat confined to his Ramallah, West Bank, compound for months;

• Release of all Palestinian prisoners from Israeli jails.

Ismail Abu Shanab, Hamas political spokesman in Gaza, told CNN in a telephone interview that the cease-fire would not be endangered if all Palestinian prisoners were not released. He said the groups wanted the initial release of the 932 Palestinians held in administrative detention without charges and a viable process begun to eventually obtain the release of the other prisoners.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine said Saturday it would not be a part of the truce, Palestinian sources told CNN. But on Sunday, Palestinian Cabinet member Saeb Erakat told CNN the group had pledged it would "not break the national consensus."

In Jerusalem, Rice completed meetings with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and a joint meeting between Israeli and Palestinian officials early Sunday, followed by a meeting with the Israeli Cabinet.

She met Saturday with Palestinian officials, including Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas.

In Washington, White House sources said Rice invited Abbas and his team of negotiators and Israeli negotiators to Washington for talks on the Middle East road map for peace, but that she was simply reiterating President Bush's invitation and no date has been set.

-- CNN Senior International Correspondent Sheila MacVicar, Correspondents Matthew Chance and Jerrold Kessel, Producer Rida Said, and White House Correspondent Dana Bash contributed to this report.


Story Tools
Click Here to try 4 Free Trial Issues of Time! cover
Top Stories
Iran poll to go to run-off
Top Stories
EU 'crisis' after summit failure
 
 
 
 

CNN US
On CNN TV E-mail Services CNN Mobile CNN AvantGo CNNtext Ad info Preferences
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.