Skip to main content International
The Web      Powered by
World Sport

Four-try England overcome Scotland

Grayson (left) took over the kicking from the injured Jonny Wilkinson

Story Tools

EDINBURGH, Scotland -- World champions England, the Six Nations title-holders, maintained their bid for back-to-back Grand Slams, with a 35-13 victory in the Calcutta Cup match against Scotland at Murrayfield.

Paul Grayson, occupying the kicking role in the absence of injured Jonny Wilkinson, provided 15 points with three penalties and three conversions.

Tries from Ben Cohen, Iain Balshaw, Josh Lewsey and Danny Grewcock helped England to a record score at Murrayfield, surpassing the 34-20 in 1996.

Scotland, who were forced to live off scraps, managed a try through wing Simon Danielli with skipper and fly-half Chris Paterson kicking their other points.

But there was some hope for their long-suffering fans, disheartened by the way they lost 23-10 against Wales last week, when Scotland opened the scoring.

After a powerful drive by the Scottish pack, Irish referee David McHugh penalized England for holding on at the ruck.

Paterson landed the resulting difficult penalty from out on the right touchline to put his side 3-0 up.

But in the 10th minute, after their pack had gained ground, England took the lead.

Center Jason Robinson's chip-kick over the top caught out Scotland full-back Ben Chisel who failed to ground the ball behind his line.

England left wing Cohen, following up, touched down and with fly-half Grayson adding the conversion the visitors were 7-3 ahead.

Grayson, recalled for the Italy match after World Cup hero Wilkinson was forced out for the season with a shoulder injury, then made it 10-3 with a penalty after Scotland were caught offside.

Scotland forced Cohen to concede a five meter scrum but Danielli wasted the try-scoring chance when he knocked on but they were rewarded when lock Grewcock was offside and Paterson's penalty in front of the posts made it 10-6.

England stifled the Scottish revival just after the half-hour mark after Danielli's kick was charged down by flanker Chris Jones, on his full England debut. The loose ball was re gathered by Grewcock who lost it in the tackle.

McHugh played on, to the disgust of the home fans who thought the ball had gone forward, and full-back Balshaw regathered his kick ahead for a try.

Grayson converted and another penalty gave England a healthy 20-6 half-time lead.

This was extended in the 47th minute when right wing Lewsey charged down replacement Andrew Henderson's kick for an unconverted try.

Scotland, after several aimless kicks, finally saw one come good when Danielli's punt bounced awkwardly away from Balshaw and into the hands of his Bath team-mate who regathered to run in a 58th minute try.

Paterson converted but Scotland No.8 Simon Taylor was sin-binned in the 65th minute for killing the ball after an England drive saw the ball go through several pairs of hands.

Minutes later England capitalized on their man advantage when Grewcock held off several would-be tacklers for a try under the posts.

Story Tools
Click Here to try 4 Free Trial Issues of Time! cover
Top Stories
Three share U.S. Open lead
Top Stories
EU 'crisis' after summit failure

On CNN TV E-mail Services CNN Mobile CNN AvantGo CNNtext Ad info Preferences
   The Web     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser. does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.