Schuettler proves master of Hewitt
MONACO, Monte Carlo -- Germany's Rainer Schuettler will keep a photo souvenir of his three sets victory over Lleyton Hewitt in the third round of the Monte Carlo Masters on Thursday.
The German fourth seed took a picture of the ball's mark on the clay after a disputed call allowed the Australian former world No. 1 to save a crucial break point.
"I took a picture because the ball was clearly out," Schuettler said after his 6-4 3-6 6-4 win earned him a meeting against Briton Tim Henman.
"We have fantastic equipment to judge balls these days and we see mistakes like this," he added.
Schuettler was 2-1 up in the second set and a break would have allowed him to lead 3-1 and take a giant step towards match victory.
On break point, the German judged Hewitt's serve long but the chair umpire checked the mark and awarded the point to the Australian.
To everybody's surprise, Schuettler fumbled in his bag, seized a disposable camera and took a picture of the mark as evidence of his good faith.
He received a warning and appeared to lose his momentum as Hewitt went on to win eight of the next nine games.
"Everybody complains about tennis getting boring and when someone does something out of the ordinary, he receives a warning.
"The crowd laughed but not the umpire. It's a shame," Schuettler said.
Henman hit back to beat gritty Chilean Nicolas Massu 3-6 6-4 6-3, regrouping after a poor first set and ousting the ninth seed with some flamboyant strokeplay.
"After that first set where I was struggling with my rhythm I knew it couldn't get much worse so I just started to relax," Henman said.
"After my practice at the weekend I wasn't expecting much, to be honest, but I have picked up my form.
"It just shows you find a way to win and things can start happening."
Towering Russian Marat Safin, rejuvenated by the European clay, overpowered Australian Wayne Arthurs 6-4 6-2.
After some patchy recent hardcourt results, Safin followed his runners-up spot in Estoril last week by equalling his best result on the principality courts.
Another former world No. 1, he reached the last eight here in 2002 before losing to Carlos Moya.
"I just played two attacking players and it's better to be up against these guys than to run for miles against Argentines or Spaniards," said Safin who beat Max Mirnyi in the previous round.
In the quarterfinals, he will at last face the challenge of a real specialist in Spain's Alberto Martin, who dismissed Argentine Agustin Calleri 6-3 3-6 7-6.
Argentine Guillermo Coria also motored into the last eight, recovering from a poor start to beat Romania's Andrei Pavel 4-6 6-1 6-4.
The third seed lost his serve three times in the opening set but not once after that as he flexed his claycourt muscles on a sun-baked centre court.
He will face fellow Argentine David Nalbandian -- playing his first tournament since a six-week injury layoff -- who crushed Frenchman Fabrice Santoro 6-3 6-2.