Danish sailor allowed to compete
(CNN) -- Danish sailor Niklas Holm, who was involved in a fatal traffic accident in Athens on Sunday night, will be allowed to compete if he is mentally fit, the Danish Olympic team's spokesman said.
Holm was charged with manslaughter after he struck and killed a pedestrian while driving to see the Danish handball team play.
"If he is mentally fit he will be allowed to compete," Danish spokesman Morten Moelholm told CNN.
"We're not quite sure if he will yet, but probably. We don't know for sure."
The 23-year-old competes in the star class competition, which begins on Saturday.
The Associated Press said Holm spent the night in a police station and was charged with manslaughter and speeding by Greek prosecutor Athena Starropoulu.
"We consider it an unintentional accident," said Moelholm. "We have checked with our embassy and they say the police have released him."
"There are no conditions and that's a sign of no guilt. The attorney is obliged to make charges but there are no signs of guilt."
Holm told Denmark's TV2 Web site that he had been driving within the speed limit at 31 mph in a designated Olympic lane when the accident occurred.
"I feel no guilt," he was quoted as saying.
Police identified the victim as Errol Strachan, a 45-year-old British man who had been working for a catering company in Athens.