Skip to main content
CNN.com International
The Web    CNN.com      Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
ON TV
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
WORLD

Three new arrests in Spain blasts

From CNN Madrid Bureau Chief Al Goodman

story.madrid2.afp.jpg
The Madrid bombings killed 190 people and wounded 1,800.

Story Tools

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Madrid (Spain)
Acts of terror

MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- Spanish police have arrested three more suspects in connection with the deadly Madrid train bombings last month, according to a National Court spokeswoman.

Two of the suspects are from Saudi Arabia and Egypt -- the first time in the investigation that anyone from those countries has been detained, the spokeswoman said Friday.

The other suspect is from Morocco.

The three were arrested Thursday in the Madrid area.

They are being held incommunicado by the police for questioning before their arraignments in the coming days, the spokeswoman said.

Under Spain's anti-terrorism law, suspects can be held for five days before arraignment.

The court already has charged 18 people -- including 14 Moroccans -- in the bombings. The others charged are a Syrian, a Spaniard and two men born in India.

Some of the 18 have been charged with mass murder in the deaths of the 190 people killed in the attacks, while others face lesser charges of collaborating with a terrorist group.

About 1,800 people were injured in the March 11 exlosions.

Earlier Friday, a Spanish judge released without charges six Moroccans who had been suspected of playing a role in last month's deadly Madrid train bombings.

Judge Juan del Olmo made the decision after a closed-door series of arraignment hearings at Spain's National Court, which began Thursday, the court spokeswoman said.

The six Moroccans released Friday had been arrested last weekend.

They all declared their innocence before the judge, who determined that although most of the six knew some of the suspects in the case, none played a role in the attacks, the court spokeswoman said.

The court identified the released Moroccans as:

  • Mohamed Anaoua Dehdouh, arrested in the southern province Malaga.
  • Abdelghafour Abderrazzak, arrested in Malaga.
  • Mohamed el Bahrrouchi, arrested in Madrid southern suburb of Leganes where on April 3 seven suspected terrorists linked to the bombings blew themselves up as police closed in on their apartment.
  • Ibrahim Afalah, 21, arrested in Leganes.
  • Hassam Belhadj, arrested in the Madrid suburb of Parla, near Leganes, where he was a construction worker.
  • Said Aharouch, arrested in Parla, where he was friends with Belhadj and also worked in construction.
  • Dehdouh, Abderrazzak, and el Bahrrouchi have been linked to fellow Moroccan Said Berraj, who is among six others listed in international arrest warrants issued by the court.

    Dehdouh and Abderrazzak attended high school with Berraj at the Spanish Institute in Tangiers, Morocco; el Bahrrouchi is the brother-in-law of Berraj's wife, the spokeswoman said.

    The judge found Afalah knew the person who rented the Leganes apartment to the suspected terrorists. The court did not reveal the identity of the landlord but said he might be among those who blew themselves up.

    Four of the seven dead suspects have been identified but the remains of the other three were badly mangled and DNA tests are being conducted to determine their identities.


    Story Tools
    Click Here to try 4 Free Trial Issues of Time! cover
    Top Stories
    Iran poll to go to run-off
    Top Stories
    EU 'crisis' after summit failure
     
     
     
     

    CNN US
    On CNN TV E-mail Services CNN Mobile CNN AvantGo CNNtext Ad info Preferences
    SEARCH
       The Web    CNN.com     
    Powered by
    © 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
    A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
    Terms under which this service is provided to you.
    Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
    external link
    All external sites will open in a new browser.
    CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
     Premium content icon Denotes premium content.