Nuclear link to Sydney terror case
Threats briefly halt Brisbane public transport
NSW police video of one of the accused being arrested last week.
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
(CNN) -- Australian police say some of the people arrested in a terror crackdown last week had been stopped and questioned near the country's only nuclear reactor in December last year.
Court documents on Monday showed that three of 18 terror suspects arrested -- Mazen Touma, Mohammed Elomar and Abdul Rakib Hasan -- were in a car stopped by police in December last year near Sydney's Lucas Heights nuclear facility.
The men had a trail bike with them and claimed they were there to ride it, but later gave conflicting stories to police when they were separated for questioning, a police statement tendered to Sydney's Central local court said.
A police investigation at the time found a lock for a gate to a reactor reservoir had been recently cut.
Police also allege the defendants have acquired and attempted to acquire materials -- primarily sulfuric acid, acetone and peroxide -- for the production of explosives.
The information about the possible nuclear link came as the eastern Australian city of Brisbane ordered bus and train services to halt for a half hour Monday following a series of phone threats, a senior lawmaker told The Associated Press.
The public transport network was suspended between 4:45 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. (0645-0715 GMT) said Queensland state Premier Peter Beattie. It was not immediately clear why that time was chosen.
Last week, Australian authorities arrested the 18 people on terrorism charges in Melbourne and Sydney, saying their 18-month investigation averted terrorist bombings.
Police have not identified the likely target.
Police arrested 10 people in Victoria and eight more in New South Wales, where Sydney is located.
The charges include acts in preparation of a terrorist act, being a member of a terrorist group, and conspiracy to commit a terrorist act. One of the suspects has also been charged with directing a terrorist organization.
At the time of the arrests, NSW Police Commissioner Ken Moroney said, "it will be alleged in court that following months of discussion, individuals had moved to the point of planning some sort of activity including the purchase of potentially dangerous materials."
Asked if bombings had been planned, Moroney said, "Certainly so."
Chemicals that, when mixed, could have made a bomb, were confiscated, he said.
No actual bombs were found.
|© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.