Skip to main content
U.S. Edition
Search
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
WORLD

UK police charge first bomb suspect

RELATED

SPECIAL REPORT

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

London
Great Britain
Acts of terror
Italy

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The first person charged in Britain in connection with the attempted July 21 bombings of London's transport network will remain in police custody until August 11, when another hearing will be held, a magistrate ruled Thursday.

Ismael Abdurahman, 23, from London, appeared in Bow Street Magistrates Court. He is accused specifically of aiding one alleged July 21 bomber who was the target of a nationwide manhunt.

The magistrate read out the charge that Abdurahman "failed to disclose" to authorities information "which you knew or believed might be of material assistance in securing the apprehension, prosecution or conviction of Hussain Osman, also known as Hamdi."

Osman, whose real name is Hamdi Issac, fled London on July 26, taking a train to Paris and traveling onto Milan and Rome, where he was captured by Italian police on July 29.

"The defendant will vigorously contest the charge," said defense attorney Anne Faul, who met her client only Thursday morning. "He has no involvement in terrorist activity whatsoever."

The charge carries a five-year maximum sentence.

Abdurahman is one of 14 people arrested in connection to the July 21 probe who remain in British police custody, including three men who allegedly tried to detonate bombs on London trains and buses and a man tied to an unused, identical homemade bomb found in a park.

Abdurahman, who was arrested last week, appeared in civilian clothes and was not handcuffed. He blew a kiss to friends and family seated behind a glass partition in the court's gallery.

Meanwhile, in Rome, Italian Judge Domenico Massimo Miceli scheduled a closed-door August 17 extradition hearing for Issac. Miceli will sit on the panel of three judges that will decide whether to extradite him to Britain, which is seeking to expedite the process under a newly available European Union arrest warrant.

If the Italian court decides to send Issac to Britain, and he does not oppose the decision, he could be sent within 10 days.

However, Issac's attorney has said her client will fight his removal. But the appeal process is limited to 60 days, with a possible 30-day extension dating from his July 29 arrest.

Italian judicial sources say British investigators have not yet had access to Isaac, in part because they have not submitted a formal request.

Rome police have charged Issac under Italy's terrorism laws.

CNN's Andrew Carey in London and Alessio Vinci in Rome and contributed to this report.

Story Tools
Click Here to try 4 Free Trial Issues of Time! cover
Top Stories
Get up-to-the minute news from CNN
CNN.com gives you the latest stories and video from the around the world, with in-depth coverage of U.S. news, politics, entertainment, health, crime, tech and more.
Top Stories
Get up-to-the minute news from CNN
CNN.com gives you the latest stories and video from the around the world, with in-depth coverage of U.S. news, politics, entertainment, health, crime, tech and more.
CNN U.S.
CNN TV E-mail Services CNN Mobile CNNAvantGo Ad Info About Us Preferences
Search
© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.
Offsite Icon External sites open in new window; not endorsed by CNN.com
Pipeline Icon Pay service with live and archived video. Learn more
Radio News Icon Download audio news  |  RSS Feed Add RSS headlines