Uruguay turn to ex-coach Tabarez
Second chance: Tabarez coached Uruguay at the 1990 World Cup
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay (Reuters) -- Uruguay named Oscar Washington Tabarez as their new coach on Tuesday, bringing the 59-year-old back for a second stint in charge.
The South Americans, who failed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup, will present Tabarez on Wednesday when he takes over from caretaker Gustavo Ferrin, in charge for the unlucky 2-1 defeat by England.
"He was appointed yesterday (Monday) and the clubs were informed. Tomorrow he will be presented," Uruguayan FA president Eugenio Figueredo said.
World Cup winners in 1930 and 1950, Uruguay missed out on Germany 2006 when they lost on penalties to Australia after a two-leg playoff which ended 1-1 on aggregate.
Tabarez coached Uruguay at the 1990 World Cup, where they reached the second round before losing to hosts Italy.
In their only World Cup appearance since then, the Sky Blues failed to progress beyond the second round in Japan and South Korea four years ago.
Tabarez began his coaching career with local club Bella Vista in 1980, then moved to Penarol where he won the South American Libertadores Cup in 1987.
He has since coached Deportivo Cali in Colombia, Cagliari and AC Milan in Italy, Oviedo in Spain and had two stints with Argentina's most fanatically supported club, Boca Juniors.
Tabarez's Uruguay side will start off on a tour of Europe to face teams warming up for the World Cup, which starts on June 9.
They will meet Serbia & Montenegro in Belgrade on May 27, Iran in Hamburg on May 31 and Ivory Coast in Paris on June 4, the AUF said.
They also hope to play matches in the United States later in June against Turkey in Chicago on the 22nd and Greece in San Francisco on a date yet to be confirmed.
Tabarez, who becomes Uruguay's fifth coach in the last four years, has recently worked as a television commentator.
Jorge quits Cameroon
Portugal's Artur Jorge has quit as Cameroon's soccer coach, state radio reported on Tuesday.
Cameroon have failed to reach the 2006 World Cup finals and lost in the African Nations Cup quarterfinals in the past five months under Jorge.
The radio quoted a letter from Jorge to Cameroon's Sports Minister Philippe Mbarga Mboa thanking soccer authorities for their confidence and saying he had "had very good times".
Jorge's contract was due to have ended in June. State radio said his departure had been discussed as "it was an open secret that he received invitations from several quarters".
Jorge signed an 18-month contract with Cameroon in November 2004 to replace German Winfried Schaefer and was tasked with taking the side to the 2006 World Cup and African Nations Cup.
A home draw against Egypt on October 8 gifted a place at Germany 2006 to Ivory Coast, depriving Cameroon of a World Cup spot for the first time in two decades.
Cameroon again lost out to Ivory Coast in the quarterfinals of the African Nations Cup last month, losing a penalty shootout 12-11 after Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o shot wide.
|© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.