Skip to main content
Home Asia Europe U.S. World Business Tech Science Entertainment Travel Weather Specials Video I-Reports
Football Updates
In association with:

Rioting Dutch fans halt UEFA tie

Adjust font size:
Decrease fontDecrease font
Enlarge fontEnlarge font

PARIS, France -- Rampaging Dutch fans forced a stoppage of more than 20 minutes at Thursday's UEFA Cup tie between hosts Nancy and Feyenoord after the French side had romped to a 3-0 lead.

The match was halted by Norwegian referee Espen Berntsen after 79 minutes when a section of the Feyenoord supporters, who had already ransacked some parts of the eastern French city in the afternoon, rained down seats on stadium stewards.

Police fired tear gas and the referee had to take the sides off.

The incidents occurred after Nancy had surged ino a 3-0 lead against 10-man Feyenoord, who had Royston Drenthe sent off in the 61st minute.

Goals from Puygrenier (22), Andre Bahia (42-og), and Zerka( 66-pen) sent Nancy to the top of Group E, level on points with Blackburn and put them into the knockout stages.

The Dutch fans tried to get to their French counterparts by smashing glass panes separating the rivals in the Marcel Picot stadium.

Stadium stewards attempted in vain to stem the violence, and the French riot police soon arrived in a bid to calm things down.

After the referee had halted the match the stadium speaker finally requested all the French fans to leave the stadium.

The Dutch fans were not allowed to leave.

The last 11 minutes were then played without addition to the score, Feyenoord's Pierre van Hooijdonk having a penalty saved after the players returned to the field.

Before the match about 300 Dutch fans had run through the streets of Nancy, breaking windows, forcing officials to shut down the tramway.

A 31-year-old fan waas detained after throwing a bottle at the riot police.

Police said that some of the supporters had been drinking heavily.

In the other Group E fixture Wisla Krakow climbed off the bottom and moved into third place by beating Basel 3-1. Pawel Brozek scored twice for Krakow, who had Cleber sent off two minutes from time.

Espanyol through

Espanyol booked their place in the next stage of the tournament by winning 2-0 at Ajax Amsterdam, with goals from Walter Pandiani and Corominas.

Newcastle stretched their run of away UEFA ties without conceding a goal to five as they drew 0-0 in a scrappy game at Eintracht Frankfurt. The point meant that Newcastle would top the group.

Celta Vigo went second with a 1-0 win over Fenerbahce, who missed a 13th minute penalty. Alex had his kick saved by Esteban. Fabian Cannobio scored the winner in the 77th minute.

Stewards try to deal with the crowd problems in the stands at Nancy.



CNN TV How To Get CNN Partner Hotels Contact Us Ad Info About Us Preferences
© 2007 Cable News Network.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.
SERVICES » E-mail RSSRSS Feed PodcastsRadio News Icon CNN Mobile CNN Pipeline
Offsite Icon External sites open in new window; not endorsed by
Pipeline Icon Pay service with live and archived video. Learn more