Skip to main content
CNN.com
Search
Home Asia Europe U.S. Business Tech Science Entertainment Sport Travel Weather Specials Video I-Reports
WORLD header

India to share Mumbai evidence

Adjust font size:
Decrease fontDecrease font
Enlarge fontEnlarge font

NEW DELHI, India -- India said on Sunday it would provide evidence it says links Pakistan's spy agency to deadly bomb blasts in Mumbai in July, news services reported.

India's foreign secretary, Shiv Shankar Menon, gave the comments Sunday, the Reuters news service reported.

On Saturday, the Indian government accused Pakistan's military spy agency, the Inter Services Intelligence, of planning the July 11 Mumbai train bombings that killed as many as 200 people.

The claims were swiftly denied and denounced by Pakistan, which also repeated its condemnation of what a government spokesman said was a "barbaric attack."

"We have solved this case," Indian Police Commissioner A.N. Roy said at a news conference Saturday.

Roy said the Lashkar-e-Tayyaba, a banned terrorist group from Pakistan, and the Students Islamic Movement of India were part of the planning and carried out the attacks.

"The entire episode was done on behalf of ISI," he said.

Fifteen people in India have been arrested so far, Roy said.

The bombs consisted of pressure cookers filled with ammonium nitrate and RDX, a base commonly used in military explosives, he said.

In Islamabad, Pakistani Information Minister Tariq Azim Khan said the "allegations" are "baseless." He said it's "yet another attempt by India to malign Pakistan."

"India, sadly, is in this habit of making kneejerk statements against Pakistan whenever any such incident takes place, without providing any evidence."

He noted that Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf told Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that intelligence should be shared and proof should be offered about any alleged activities. They met in Cuba recently at the Non-Aligned Movement summit, he said.

Khan said India must reckon with the existing of "emerging" and "homegrown" insurgencies and cease the "blame game." He said if India provides solid evidence about Pakistani involvement, the matter will be addressed.

India has said that 11 of the alleged plotters came from Pakistan. Nine of them escaped from India and two others were killed -- one died on the train and the second was killed by Indian police after the bombings.

Reuters contributed to this report.


story.menon.afp.jpg

Shiv Shankar Menon: Evidence will be supplied.

    RELATED

      Follow Related Topics

      Search TopicE-mail Alerts
Advertisement
CNN U.S.
CNN TV How To Get CNN Partner Hotels Contact Us Ad Info About Us Preferences
Search
© 2007 Cable News Network.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.
SERVICES » E-mail RSSRSS Feed PodcastsRadio News Icon CNN Mobile CNN Pipeline
Offsite Icon External sites open in new window; not endorsed by CNN.com
Pipeline Icon Pay service with live and archived video. Learn more