London bomber video: 'Just the beginning'
Suicide bomber Shehzad Tanweer appears in the videotape broadcast by Al-Jazeera.
Who was Shehzad Tanweer?
22-year-old born in Bradford, raised in Leeds, England;
Sports science graduate, cricket player; described by friends as quiet, very religious
Visited Pakistan with fellow bomber Mohammad Sidique Khan in November 2004
Police in West Yorkshire, England reportedly warned in 2003 about Tanweer's extremist views while he worked at an Islamic bookshop;
Police not able to confirm
Killed himself, 6 others when he detonated bomb on London Underground train near Allgate Station
Source: British media, Scotland Yard
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
(CNN) -- A message from one of the four suicide bombers who launched the subway attacks in London last year promised more violence, according to a videotape aired by Al-Jazeera on the eve of the anniversary of last year's deadly strike.
"What you have witnessed now is only the beginning of a series of attacks that will continue and pick up strengths till you pull your soldiers from Afghanistan and Iraq and stop your financial and military aid to America and Israel," said suicide bomber Shehzad Tanweer, 22, who delivered what was called his last will and testament in English.
He was killed in the July 7, 2005 attack. (Watch the video the man made before the bombing -- 2:11)
CNN terrorism analyst Peter Bergen said the latest video is more evidence that "the London attacks were a classic al Qaeda operation and not the work of self-starting terrorists as has been repeatedly suggested in the media."
The message bears an animated graphic of As Sahab, the al Qaeda video production arm. The tape was announced Wednesday night and aired Thursday on the Arabic-language channel.
Relatives of victims condemned the video. Nader Mozakka, 50, from Finchley, north London, whose wife Behnaz died in the King's Cross Tube bombing, told the Press Association the tape and its timing were "abhorrent."
"It's like a smack in the face -- the timing especially," he said.
"They have released it at the time when a lot of survivors are going through hell.
"This is typical of the enemy that we have. They have no respect -- they kill innocent people."
Grahame Russell, who lost his 28-year-old son Philip in the Tavistock Square bus blast, insisted the video would not detract from Friday's commemoration.
"We will not even think about it," he told PA.
"It will be consigned to the place it should be consigned to, which is the dustbin."
Police in London said it was looking at the message as part of its wide-ranging investigation into terrorism.
The video shows how the al Qaeda groups claim they planned for the attacks, including some chemical tests and field training.
The video also shows a remote part of the world that looks like a tribal area of Afghanistan where people are listening to the news of the bombing and cheering.
There is a statement on the video from al Qaeda No. 2 Ayman al-Zawahiri praising Tanweer by name and describing how he was "physically fit" to carry out such an attack.
"He studied physical education at university, he had a passion for boxing and although he was from a well-off family, his clothes and physical appearances didn't reflect that."
It is the second message from one of the bombers. A videotape from Mohammad Sidique Khan, the suspected ringleader of the suicide attack, was released by al Qaeda last September.
Fifty-two people were killed in the suicide attacks. Three of the bombs were set off on the London Underground system, the fourth on a bus.
Tanweer and Khan, 30, had traveled to Pakistan together in late 2004, and that is where senior British officials believe the so-called last will and testament videotapes were recorded.
The video comes on the heels of a series of al Qaeda productions in the past two weeks, including messages from both al-Zawahiri and Osama bin Laden about the death of al Qaeda in Iraq leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.
Assistant London police commissioner Andy Hayman said authorities are "aware of the tape," the release of which he said "can only cause maximum hurt and distress to the families and friends of those who died on 7/7 and the hundreds of people who were injured in the terrorist attacks."
He believes the "overwhelming majority of all communities" in Britain oppose any attempt to "justify" last year's attack.
"We would like to reassure the public that police are doing all they can to ensure their safety. It is important that people continue to go about their daily lives as normal, to do otherwise would mean the terrorist has won."
A series of events are scheduled for Friday in London, as well as across Britain, to mark the anniversary of the 7/7 bombings.
Among them will be a nationwide two minutes' of silence beginning at noon (1100 GMT) and a memorial service at London's Regent's Park, beginning at 6 p.m. (1700 GMT).
From CNN Senior Arab Affairs Editor Octavia Nasr and Senior Producer Henry Schuster
|© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.