More arrests in German bomb plot
BEIRUT, Lebanon (CNN) -- Two more people were detained on Friday in connection with a recent failed attempt to bomb two trains in Germany -- bringing the number of arrests in the case to four, authorities said.
Lebanese Chief Prosecutor Said Mirza said a Lebanese man was arrested on Friday in north Lebanon. The man is in his mid-20s, but Mirza would not identify him.
German authorities said investigators in Baden Wuerttemberg have arrested a man in Konstanz.
Suitcases containing the bombs were found on trains in Dortmund and Koblenz on July 31.
The bombs were packed into identical black suitcases -- each containing a gas canister, alarm clock, wires, batteries and soft drink bottles filled with flammable liquid.
A 19-year-old Lebanese man, identified as Jihad Hamad, surrendered to authorities in Tripoli, Lebanon, Thursday, a day after an arrest warrant was issued. Another suspect was arrested in Germany over the weekend.
The Friday arrest in Lebanon came after Hamad was questioned.
German Prosecutor Rainer Griesbaum told reporters Thursday that Hamad had been living in Cologne, where he wanted to study.
When authorities searched his apartment there, they found traces of DNA that matched DNA found on the bomb, a receipt for a gas canister that was filled, and cable.
Investigators in Germany and Lebanon are continuing to work on the case.
Mirza said Lebanese and German prosecutors met for four hours today and are sharing information in the probe.
Producer Jomana Karadsheh contributed to this report
|© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.