Report: Jordan arrests 4th suspect in planned attack
Libyan Muhammad Saed Hamad Ghaith al-Dersi allegedly planned to be a suicide bomber, a report says.
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
AMMAN, Jordan (CNN) -- Jordanian authorities have arrested a fourth suspected al Qaeda member accused of planning an attack against a "vital civilian facility," Jordan's Petra news agency reported Thursday, quoting a government official.
A senior government official told CNN Wednesday that three members of a cell -- two Iraqis and a Libyan -- had been arrested. The four suspect arrested is also an Iraqi, Petra reported.
Two more Iraqis and a Saudi remain at large, the news agency said.
The suspects were planning a suicide attack against a "vital civilian facility," but Jordanian intelligence forces foiled the strike, Petra reported earlier without elaborating on the suspected target.
Petra identified the latest suspect arrested as Saad Fakhri Nu'eimi, aka Abu Anas.
The three arrested Wednesday are Muhammad Saed Hamad Ghaith al-Dersi, 25, of Libya; Muhssen Mathlum Jassam al-Llusi, 34, of Iraq; and Abdel al-Karim Khedeir Abbas al-Jemeili, 48, of Iraq, according to Petra.
Al-Dersi allegedly was planning to be the suicide bomber in the attack, and al-Llusi and al-Jemeili were to give him logistical support, the news agency reported.
The men are being sent to Jordan's state security court to be tried, Petra reported, citing a security source.
Security forces also confiscated automatic weapons, rockets and about nine pounds (four kilograms) of explosives, the news agency said.
The explosives matched those found with an Iraqi woman whose bomb did not detonate during the November 9 attack on three hotels in Amman, according to Petra.
The bombs that detonated in those attacks killed 57 people, many of whom were attending a wedding party.
|© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.