Certainly, the best way to consume these five healthful foods is to just eat them. Our recipes suggest ways to introduce or incorporate them into your diet. And you can also enjoy them simply.
• Add a few slices to a smoked turkey sandwich.
• Top chili or other thick soups with chunks of avocado.
• Place several slices atop of garlic-rubbed bruschetta.
• Enjoy an avocado "bowl"-- cut an avocado in half, remove the seed, and fill the cavity with balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, and scoop out the flesh from the skin with a spoon.
• If you're not a big fan of black coffee, try a milder-tasting latte instead (just be sure to use low-fat or fat-free milk).
• Mix coffee and hot chocolate for a hot, sweet mocha drink.
• Reduce brewed coffee, and combine it with a little ancho chile powder, sugar, salt, and pepper to make a glaze for pork tenderloin.
• Slice a hard-cooked egg, and add to a salad.
• Keep hard-cooked eggs on hand for a quick snack or breakfast on the go.
• Top corn tortillas with scrambled eggs, shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, and bottled salsa for a quick brunch burrito.
• Toss a handful of sliced mushrooms into the eggs you scramble for breakfast.
• Add finely chopped mushrooms to the ground beef mixture for hamburgers.
• Stir a little 1/3-less-fat cream cheese into sautéed finely chopped mushrooms for an appetizer spread for crostini.
• Top mashed potatoes with a dollop of commercial pesto and a generous scoop of sautéed mushrooms.
• Instead of cream cheese or jelly, spread a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter onto your bagel or toast.
• Add two tablespoons peanut butter to vanilla low-fat milkshake, and blend until smooth.
• Make peanut butter s'mores: Spread a graham cracker with peanut butter, and sprinkle with mini marshmallows. Microwave a few seconds until the marshmallows melt, and top with another cracker. E-mail to a friend
For more tips on making healthy taste great, try Cooking Light - CLICK HERE
Copyright 2009 Cooking Light magazine. All rights reserved.
|Most Viewed||Most Emailed|