Skip to main content
Home Asia Europe U.S. World Business Tech Science Entertainment Travel Weather Specials Video I-Reports
Football Updates
In association with:

Liverpool in final after shoot-out

Adjust font size:
Decrease fontDecrease font
Enlarge fontEnlarge font

LIVERPOOL, England -- Liverpool beat Chelsea 4-1 on penalties to reach the Champions League final for the second time in three seasons on Wednesday.

Their second leg ended 1-0 after extra time with the only goal coming from Danish defender Daniel Agger after 22 minutes.

With the tie ending locked in a 1-1 stalemate after Chelsea's 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge last week, the stage was set for the first penalty shootout at the semifinal stage since the Champions League replaced the old European Cup in 1992.

Boudewijn Zenden, Xabi Alonso, Steve Gerrard and Dirk Kuyt all converted for Liverpool while keeper Pepe Reina saved from Arjen Robben and Geremi to send Liverpool through to the seventh European Cup final in their history against either Manchester United or AC Milan in Athens on May 23.

The only goal of a nerve-wracking 120 minutes came following a cleverly-taken free-kick from Gerrard.

He sent a hard low cross towards the edge of the Chelsea penalty area rather than an expected high ball to the centre of it.

Agger played his part perfectly, sweeping in a well-struck shot that swerved just inside the post and into the Chelsea net out of the reach of goalkeeper Petr Cech.

Liverpool coach Rafa Benitez told ITV Sports afterwards: "Every player and every supporter was a hero tonight. The team all worked very hard -- against a very good team.

"I was confident in the players (for the penalties). They like to practice penalties every day after training."

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho said: "There is little to say. This is a moment where everyone has to be strong. The players have a lot of reasons to be proud of themselves. We were the best team today, even against a team playing only in the Champions League. Football is like this, we have to be strong to face it."

Few and far between

Chances were few and far between for both sides with Peter Crouch seeing a header saved by Cech's feet on the line after 55 minutes and Dirk Kuyt heading against the Chelsea bar after 59 minutes.

At the other end Didier Drogba drew a fine save from Pepe Reina after 32 minutes.

Kuyt had a goal harshly ruled out for offside in extra time, but scored the final penalty to give Liverpool their 4-1 winning margin.

Chelsea, looking for a goal that would all but kill the tie began with an all-Ivorian strike force of Didier Drogba and Salomon Kalou, while Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard started in his preferred central midfield role.

Liverpool took the game to Chelsea and made good use of the height of towering striker Peter Crouch and scored from their first scoring with Agger putting them in front in a well-worked move.

Joe Cole conceded a free kick on the left and Gerrard, instead on lifting the ball high into the area, squared it low for Agger to curve a low first-time shot just inside the post and wide of Cech into the back of the Chelsea net.

The goal, which looked as if it had come straight from Liverpool's training pitch, roused Chelsea from their lethargy and it took a good block by Reds keeper Jose Reina to stop Drogba's angled shot on the run after 32 minutes.

Michael Essien might also have grabbed an equaliser, but the Ghanaian midfielder-turned-defender's effort drifted wide of the target after a nod-on by Drogba.

Liverpool's next chance came 10 minutes after the re-start when Jermaine Pennant crossed from the right and Chelsea captain John Terry had to clear after Crouch's header was only blocked by Petr Cech.

Liverpool's Dutch striker Kuyt was no luckier a few minutes later when he sent a header past Cech -- only to see the ball crack against the crossbar and bounce to safety.

Liverpool always looked the hungrier of the two sides, underlined by Zenden's fierce 25-meter shot from the left flank which Cech only gathered at the second attempt.

But there was no breaking the deadlock over two legs, sending the game into extra time and ultimately to penalties.


From: Khan Katushabe, Kampala, Uganda
Date: 2 May2007
Comment: Thanks to all Liverpool fans and we pray for you to be patient and winners.

Long live Liverpool.



  • E-mail us: Do you have a question on soccer for CNN's Patrick Snell? :  Send them to us


After such a close Champion's League semifinal, which manager do you think is best?
or View Results
CNN TV How To Get CNN Partner Hotels Contact Us Ad Info About Us Preferences
© 2007 Cable News Network.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.
SERVICES » E-mail RSSRSS Feed PodcastsRadio News Icon CNN Mobile CNN Pipeline
Offsite Icon External sites open in new window; not endorsed by
Pipeline Icon Pay service with live and archived video. Learn more