Skip to main content
  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print

Barton charged with player assault

  • Story Highlights
  • Joey Barton charged with assault in connection with training ground incident
  • Barton accused of attacking Ousmane Dabo while still at Manchester City
  • England international midfielder Barton has since moved to Newcastle
  • Next Article in World Sport »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

LONDON, England -- Newcastle and England midfielder Joey Barton has been charged with assault after a training ground incident with a former team-mate.


Barton was still at Manchester City when the alleged incident took place.

Barton allegedly attacked Ousmane Dabo at the end of last season when he was still at Manchester City.

Barton denies the charges and a spokeswoman for the player said: "Our client, Joey Barton, was today charged under the Offences against the Person Act in relation to a training ground incident which occurred on May 1 this year.

"Joey strenuously denies the charge and welcomes the opportunity to clear his name in the public forum."

The 24-year-old, who made his England debut last season, was formally charged with assault after answering police bail in Manchester on Thursday.

Barton was arrested in May after his alleged attack on Dabo, 30, at the Manchester City training ground at Carrington.

The Premier League club suspended him after the incident while police made further inquiries.

He was eventually sold to Newcastle in June in a $12 million deal.

Barton is currently sidelined after fracturing a metatarsal bone in his left foot during a prre-season friendly for his new side last week.

The assault charge is yet another brush with authority for the combative Barton.

He was accused of injuring Jamie Tandy, a Manchester City junior player, with a cigar at a club Christmas party and was sent home from a pre-season tour in Thailand while at City after a fight in a hotel bar with a teenage Everton fan.

It led to a massive club fine, but the Liverpool-born midfielder was in trouble again last season after dropping his shorts to Everton fans after a last minute equalizer by City at Goodison Park.

The offence with which Barton is charged carries a maximum sentence of up to five years in jail on conviction. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print