THE HAGUE, Netherlands -- Marco van Basten will quit after four years as Netherlands coach following next year's European Championship finals.
Van Basten will leave his job as Netherlands coach after the 2008 European Championship finals.
Van Basten and assistant coach John van't Schip will leave the team after the tournament in Austria and Switzerland, the Dutch Football Federation said on Tuesday.
"After four years, it will be time for something new," Van Basten said.
The Netherlands has a record of 28 wins, 10 draws and five losses since Van Basten took over for Dick Advocaat after Euro 2004.
The 43-year-old Van Basten said he did not yet want to look back over his time in charge of Oranje, because "first we want to get the players ready for the tournament next summer."
For next year's tournament in Austria and Switzerland, the Netherlands was drawn in a group with world champion Italy, France and Romania.
Although the Netherlands qualified relatively easily, Van Basten's team was criticized throughout the campaign for scrappy play and failing to thrash lesser teams like Luxembourg.
In its final qualifier, with its place in the final tournament already secure, the Netherlands lost at Belarus 2-1.
Van Basten's time in charge also was rocked by conflicts with senior players.
He benched out-of-form striker Ruud van Nistelrooy at last year's World Cup, and the team was then beaten by Portugal in the second round.
The two did not patch up their relationship until August, when Van Nistelrooy returned for a friendly against Switzerland.
There has been speculation that van Basten, whose contract expires after the finals, could be on his way to Ajax Amsterdam. E-mail to a friend