LUSAKA, Zambia (Reuters) -- The trial of former Zambian President Frederick Chiluba, accused of stealing public money, resumed on Wednesday after being suspended for more than a year.
Chiluba, who faces charges of theft of $488,000 in Treasury funds, briefly appeared in court on Tuesday but the proceedings only started on Wednesday, with the cross-examination of a witness, a spokesman for Chiluba said.
There were intermittent breaks during the trial to allow Chiluba, who suffers from heart problems, "to refresh himself", spokesman Emmanuel Mwamba said.
The trial was suspended in May last year when the former leader fell ill.
Chiluba, who ruled the southern African country of Zambia from 1991 to 2001, has denied any wrong-doing and accuses his successor Levy Mwanawasa of a political witch-hunt.
Chiluba on Tuesday rejected a proposal by the court and state prosecutors to follow the trial by a video link between his home and the court.
The court said trial would continue on Thursday. E-mail to a friend
Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.