Skip to main content
  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print

Suu Kyi 'optimistic' after talks

  • Story Highlights
  • Aung San Suu Kyi "optimistic" after meeting members of her political party
  • Suu Kyi says she's committed to pursuing a dialogue with the ruling junta
  • Crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators set off international outrage
  • As many as 110 people were killed in the September violence
  • Next Article in World »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Myanmar's pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi said Friday she was "very optimistic" about the process of dialogue with the country's ruling military junta after she was allowed to meet with members of her political party for the first time in three years, a party spokesman said.

Activists display a portrait of detained democracy leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, in Myanmar.

Suu Kyi, who has been detained under house arrest for the best part of two decades, made the remarks during a meeting at a government guest house with three party members and a spokesman.

"She is full of ideas," said party spokesman Nyan Win, who attended the meeting, describing Suu Kyi as looking "fit, well and energetic," The Associated Press reported.

The Nobel Peace Prize winner has said she will continue to be "guided by the policies and wishes" of the opposition political party she heads -- the National League for Democracy.

In a statement issued on Thursday by the United Nations' special envoy to Myanmar, Ibrahim Gambari, on her behalf, Suu Kyi also said she was "ready to cooperate" with the government and committed to pursuing a dialogue with the ruling junta.

"It is my duty to give constant and serious considerations to the interests and opinions of as broad a range of political organizations and forces as possible," Gambari said, reading the statement from Suu Kyi.

In the statement, she also welcomed the appointment of Aung Kyi as the minister of relations, a position the junta created last month to liase with Suu Kyi.

Aung Kyi -- viewed as a moderate -- was appointed as the liaison officer amid international pressure following September's bloody crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrations.

As many as 110 people are believed to have been killed in the violence, including 40 Buddhist monks.

Don't Miss

  • Myanmar rejects talks with 'big power bullies'
  • Myanmar: Envoys called to capital

Video smuggled out of the country showed unarmed protesters being beaten by the military regime's security forces, and one man -- believed to be a Japanese journalist -- was shot and killed at close range.

The protests were sparked by a huge fuel price increase imposed by the military government, and quickly escalated.

Myanmar's military junta said in mid-October that it had detained more than 2,900 people during the crackdown. Many of them are still believed to be in custody.

Suu Kyi described her October 25 meeting with the liaison officer as "constructive," said the statement read by Gambari. "I look forward to further regular discussions."

Gambari said he will return this week to New York to brief U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on the five-day trip to Myanmar, also called Burma.

The situation in the secretive Asian nation is not what it was "a few weeks ago," said a U.N. statement released in conjunction with the end of Gambari's trip.

"We now have a process going which would lead to substantive dialogue between the government and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi," the statement said.

"The sooner such a dialogue can start, the better for Myanmar."

During his trip, Gambari met with Myanmar's prime minister, Gen. Thein Sein, and other government officials, as well as Suu Kyi, the United Nations reported. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

Copyright 2007 CNN. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Associated Press contributed to this report.

All About Aung San Suu KyiMyanmar

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print