Skip to main content
Got a question about a health story in the news or a health topic? Here's your chance to get an answer. Send us your questions about general health topics, diet and fitness and mental health. If your question is chosen, it could be featured on's health page with an answer from one of our health experts, or by a participant in the CNNhealth community.

* CNN encourages you to contribute a question. By submitting a question, you agree to the following terms found below.
You may not post any unlawful, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic or other material that would violate the law. By submitting your question, you hereby give CNN the right, but not the obligation, to post, air, edit, exhibit, telecast, cablecast, webcast, re-use, publish, reproduce, use, license, print, distribute or otherwise use your questions(s) and accompanying personal identifying and other information you provide via all forms of media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide, in perpetuity. CNN Privacy Statment.
Thank you for your question!

It will be reviewed and considered for posting on Questions and comments are moderated by CNN and will not appear until after they have been reviewed and approved. Unfortunately, because of the voume of questions we receive, not all can be posted.

Submit another question or Go back to

Read answers from our experts: Living Well | Diet & Fitness | Mental Health | Conditions
CNN Medical Unit: Daily Dose (What's this?)
Get the reporting, research and analysis behind on-air stories straight from the CNN Medical Unit, led by chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

HPV vaccine 101

    • Gardasil has been approved for females 9 to 26 to prevent HPV
    • HPV is the most common sexually transmitted infection and causes cervical cancer
    • Women who have had the vaccine should still get Pap smears
  • Bottom Line: The vaccine is recommended for women in the approved age range
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font
Gardasil has been approved for females to prevent HPV, the most common sexually transmitted infection.

Gardasil has been approved for females to prevent HPV, the most common sexually transmitted infection.


Genital human papillomavirus, or HPV, which infects the skin and mucous membranes, is the most common sexually transmitted disease. About 20 million Americans have the virus, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. HPV is the major cause of cervical cancer, which kills about 250,000 women worldwide each year. In the United States, cervical cancer will be diagnosed in about 12,000 women this year, and 4,000 will die, the CDC says. Women get Pap smears to detect cervical cancer and now have the option of preventing it with a vaccine. Gardasil, developed by Merck, works to protect against four strains of HPV, including two connected to 70 percent of cervical cancers.

Questions and answers

Who can get the HPV vaccine?

Elizabeth Cohen, CNN medical news correspondent: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Gardasil for females 9 to 26 years old in 2006. The FDA concluded the vaccine prevents cervical cancer in females 16 to 26, prevents genital warts and could benefit children 9 to 15. The goal would be to give it to girls before they have sex, something that might make some parents uncomfortable.

Does that mean women won't need to get Pap smears anymore?


Cohen: No. Although the vaccine covers strains that cause 70 percent of cervical cancer, it doesn't cover the other 30 percent. You still need to test for and detect abnormalities, so Pap smears are still important.

Should boys and young men be getting that vaccine?

Cohen: The research on that is ongoing, but if it pans out, yes. So far they're seeing very good antibody response, but results aren't in yet on how effective the vaccine is in boys and men. If it prevents boys and men from getting HPV, then they can't pass it on. Question: How much does this vaccine cost? The retail price of the vaccine is about $375 for the full three-dose series, according to the CDC.

For more information visit the Web sites:

CDC: HPV vaccine information

FDA: Gardasil approval information

All About GardasilSexual and Reproductive HealthFood and Drug Administration

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print

The information contained on this page does not and is not intended to convey medical advice. CNN is not responsible for any actions or inaction on your part based on the information that is presented here. Please consult a physician or medical professional for personal medical advice or treatment.