Skip to main content

Vela scores hat-trick as Arsenal hit six

  • Story Highlights
  • Mexican Carlos Vela scores a hat-trick as Arsenal crush Sheffield United 6-0
  • Manchester United and Liverpool also reach Carling Cup fourth round stage
  • Premier League sides Fulham and West Ham beaten by Championship sides
  • Next Article in World Sport »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Arsenal's next generation of youngsters produced a superb display of attacking football as Mexican striker Carlos Vela netted a hat-trick in a 6-0 win over Sheffield United in the Carling Cup third round.

Carlos Vela celebrates one of his goals as Arsenal crushed Sheffield United 6-0 at The Emirates.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger traditionally uses the competition as a breeding ground for his young talent, and the Emirates crowd were treated to a stunning display by a Gunners side, average age just 19, who tore apart the Championship outfit.

Nicklas Bendtner finished off clever assists from Vela and Aaron Ramsey to put Arsenal two-up before Vela made it three at half-time with a lovely curling effort.

Vela then grabbed his second by leaving goalkeeper Paddy Kenny stranded before calmly slotting in his second.

Midfielder Jack Wilshire, just 16, got in on the act with the fifth and Vela had the last word by completing his hat-trick three minutes from time.

Manchester United and Liverpool both progressed safely to the last 16, as United beat Premier League rivals Middlesbrough 3-1 while Liverpool saw off Division One side Crewe 2-1.

Cristiano Ronaldo marked his first start of the season with the opener at Old Trafford when he headed in Ryan Giggs' corner.

Goalkeeper Brad Jones kept Boro in contention with some fine saves before Adam Johnson shocked the home crowd by drawing the visitors level with a volley from the edge of the box.

However, the match turned when Emanuel Pogatetz was shown a straight red card for a late tackle on Brazilian teenager Rodrigo Possebon, who was carried off the pitch with what looked a bad injury.

Chris Riggott's mistake then let in Giggs to put United back in front in the 79th minute and Nani made sure of victory in injury time.

Meanwhile, Daniel Agger opened the scoring at Anfield when he fired in a free-kick after 15 minutes -- but Crewe showed they would be no pushovers by equalising through Michael O'Connor after debutant keeper Diego Cavalieri had parried Calvin Zola's header.

However, there was to be no fairytale victory for the minnows as Lucas Leiva headed in Jermaine Pennant's cross for what proved the winner.

Two Premier League sides crashed out of the competition with Fulham and West Ham going down to Championship sides Burnley and Watford respectively.

Teenager Jay Rodriguez was the hero for Burnley, rounding the goalkeeper with just two minutes remaining to score the only goal from Chris Eagles' superb trough ball.

Meanwhile, Gianfranco Zola's Hammers were sent packing by Watford as reserve goalkeeper Jan Lastuvka missed a cross and the ball went in off defender Hayden Mullins for a 70th minute own goal as Watford triumphed 1-0.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print