Skip to main content

Atletico salvage late draw against Liverpool

  • Story Highlights
  • Liverpool and Atletico Madrid draw 1-1 in Champions League Group D
  • Simao Sabrosa equalizes Robbie Keane's effort for Rafa Benitez's men
  • PSV Eindhoven beat Marseille 2-0 in other match in the group on Wednesday
  • Next Article in World Sport »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- Simao Sabrosa scored an 83rd minute equalizer to salvage a 1-1 draw for Atletico Madrid against Liverpool in their Champions League Group D clash at the Vicente Calderon stadium on Wednesday night.

Robbie Keane wheels away after scoring Liverpool's opener in Madrid.

Robbie Keane had opened the scoring for the Premier League side in the 14th minute, with the draw leaving both teams with seven points from three games.

PSV Eindhoven beat Marseille 2-0 in the other Group D game on Wednesday night to grab their first points with their French opponents yet to register a point.

Danny Koevermans scored both goals for the Dutch champions on his 50th appearance in the Champions League.

He headed Stijn Wuytens' corner past Marseille goalkeeper Steve Mandanda in the 70th minute, and then repeated the trick from Edison Mendez's cross in the 85th.

"It's always nice to score," Koevermans told the Associated Press.

"We had to win this game and that is what we did."

The match between the two group leaders in Madrid nearly did not take place at Atletico's home stadium after they were handed three-match stadium ban by UEFA following crowd disturbances and racist chanting during their match against Marseille.

But the Spanish side appealed to avoid having to play the crunch game at a venue 300 kilometers away from the capital city.

Their fans jeered and whistled the Champions League anthem and turned their backs in protest before the start and the mood would scarcely have been improved after 14 minutes.

Atletico had a half chance to score as Ignacio Camacho headed over but in the next attack Liverpool's England midfielder Steven Gerrard threaded the ball through for Keane to coolly beat Leo Franco.

There was a hint of offside about the Irish international's effort but it was no more than Liverpool deserved for a dominant display only broken by Diego Forlan's effort just before halftime which flew wide.

Atletico sent on star striker Sergio Aguero for the second half in place of Luis Garcia, but Liverpool enjoyed the better start though and Yossi Benayoun looked to have scored a second only for it to be ruled out for offside.

Atletico finally improved and twice went close in quick succession.

The first opening saw Maniche pick up a pass from Forlan on the far side of the area before firing in a shot that flew into the far corner of the net.

However, the Portuguese was frustrated by the offside flag then Simao drilled in a shot which Pepe Reina managed to tip onto the far post before the goalkeeper gathered the rebound.

Don't Miss

Atletico looked to be headed for a home defeat until Simao received the ball in a similar position on the left side of the area and threaded a fine effort past Reina.

Ryan Babel, a substitute for Gerrard, nearly headed a late winner for Liverpool who will still be content with their night's work.

"We had chances but we didn't finish the game," said Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez.

"We tried to be too precise, tried to give the perfect pass and didn't finish when we should have done."

But Keane admitted the team was happy with a point.

"We dominated in the first half but in the second half they made it difficult for us," he said.

"All in all, we are happy with the point."

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print