BEIJING, China (CNN) -- Eleven schoolgirls in northwest China's Shaanxi province died from carbon monoxide poisoning after they used a school-provided charcoal heater to warm their dorm room, China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported Tuesday.
In all, 12 students were poisoned in the incident Monday night at the Duiziliang School in Yulin City, a provincial government official told Xinhua.
The students were found Tuesday morning and rushed to a hospital, where 11 died, the official said.
The lone survivor was in stable condition at the Dingbian County Hospital, Xinhua reported, citing a hospital doctor.
All the girls were in the fourth grade and were about 10 years old, a teacher who asked for anonymity told Xinhua.
Dormitory rooms usually hold about 12 students, the teacher said, and the school provided heaters and charcoal.
Provincial Vice-Governor Zhu Jingzhi, along with other provincial officials, traveled to the school as part of the investigation, Xinhua said.