(CNN) -- A British soldier from Prince Harry's regiment has died in an explosion in Afghanistan, the British Ministry of Defense says.
The soldier, who has not been named, was killed Wednesday during a routine patrol about 14 miles (23km) north of a forward operating base in the southern Helmand province, the ministry said in a statement.
The defense ministry said the soldier's family asked for a grace period before further details were released.
"We are deeply saddened by this loss and our thoughts are with his family and his unit at this tragic time," said Lieutenant Colonel Woody Page, a spokesman for the British Army's Task Force Helmand.
The soldier was serving with the Household Cavalry Regiment, in which Prince Harry also serves. Harry spent three months with the regiment in Afghanistan earlier this year.
However, Prince Harry had to be withdrawn in March after his secret deployment was revealed in a media report.
He had been deployed in Afghanistan since December. Major news outlets had agreed to keep the information secret for security reasons, but a Web site broke the news blackout.
That prompted the British military to withdraw the prince for security reasons four weeks before the end of his 14-week deployment.