BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraqi police recovered at least 38 bodies from a mass grave Saturday and Sunday, and expect to find more as they continue digging, police officials said.
Men dig out bodies from a mass grave discovered near a former Sunni insurgent stronghold in Iraq.
The bodies showed signs of torture, and some were blindfolded with their hands tied, police said. Some had been decapitated.
They all appeared to be the bodies of adult men, and some were wearing what appeared to be Iraqi Security Forces uniforms, CNN video showed.
Police said they believed most of the victims were civilians kidnapped at fake checkpoints in the area.
The victims were found in multiple shallow graves Saturday in an orchard in the village of Abu Tomma, north of Baquba. The area is a former stronghold of al Qaeda in Iraq.
It was not clear how long the bodies have been in the graves, but a police commander estimated they had been buried over the past two years. They have not been identified. Police have asked people to come to the morgue to try to identify family members.