Skip to main content

Palestinian militant shot dead by Israeli forces

  • Story Highlights
  • Security forces tried to arrest Islamic Jihad member Ahmed Nuwahada
  • Israeli spokesman: Nuwahada ran from security forces and was shot
  • Israel closed Gaza border crossings after rocket fire from Palestinian territory
  • Next Article in World »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Israeli security forces shot and killed a Palestinian militant near the West Bank town of Jenin, Palestinian and Israeli authorities said.

Israeli forces went the village of al-Yamoun late Monday to arrest Jihad Ahmed Nuwahada, a member of the militant group Islamic Jihad.

According to an Israel Defense Forces spokesman, Nuwahada ran from security forces and was shot. He died on the way to hospital.

Palestinian security sources said Nuwahada was leaving an Internet cafe around 11 p.m. (4 p.m. ET) when he failed to answer an Israeli undercover officer and was shot.

Separately, Israel closed its border crossings with Gaza Tuesday, after another round of rocket fire from the Palestinian territory, a senior Israeli military source said.

Three rockets were fired from the direction of Gaza early Tuesday, the Israeli military reported. There were no reports of injuries or damage.

An Egyptian-brokered six-month truce between the Israelis and the Palestinians ends on Friday, but it's one that has often been ignored. Almost daily, rockets and mortars fly out of Gaza into Israel, and, in return, the Israeli military strikes back.

What the end of the cease-fire will bring is uncertain.

Hamas, the ruling Palestinian political faction in Gaza, is sending mixed signals. Khalid Meshaal, the exiled leader of the group, said from Syria that Hamas won't renew, while the Hamas prime minister in Gaza, Ismail Haniya, hasn't ruled out extending the truce.

The Israeli army, meanwhile, has drawn up detailed plans and trained for a large-scale operation in the territory. Israel's last major incursion into Gaza came in 2006, when Hamas militants kidnapped an Israeli soldier, Gilad Shalit, and killed two others. Shalit remains a captive.

Israeli troops launched several smaller raids into the territory before the truce began.

All About Israel

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print