Skip to main content

Chris Brown case ongoing

  • Story Highlights
  • Chris Brown case still in hands of police
  • Police: Brown turned himself in Sunday after woman accused him of attacking her
  • Police haven't named woman; sources say it was girlfriend Rihanna
  • Next Article in Entertainment »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- The investigation into what happened between singers Chris Brown and Rihanna on a Hollywood street early Sunday remained in the hands of police Wednesday, a day after the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office said it needed more information before deciding on formal charges.

Chris Brown was arrested early Sunday on suspicion of making criminal threats.

Chris Brown was arrested early Sunday on suspicion of making criminal threats.

A spokeswoman for the prosecutor said Brown, 19, was arrested and booked on suspicion of making criminal threats.

He was released from jail on $50,000 bail Sunday night and given a March 5 court date.

Brown's lawyer has not responded to repeated requests for comment.

Police said Brown and a woman were in a vehicle near Hollywood's Hancock Park early Sunday when they became involved in an argument.

The woman "suffered visible injuries and identified Brown as her attacker," police said. Video Watch the latest about the case »

Police did not identify the woman, but sources close to the couple told CNN the alleged victim was his girlfriend, Rihanna, 20.

Rihanna -- whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty -- has made no public comment and her spokesman issued only a short statement Sunday evening after she canceled her performance at the Grammy Awards.

"Rihanna is well," her spokesman said. "Thank you for concern and support."

She was scheduled to be in Malaysia for a concert Friday night, but the promoter announced Tuesday that it was postponed by Rihanna's agent.

The Los Angeles Police Department's chief investigator in the case, Detective Deshon Andrews, told CNN he hand-carried his findings to the district attorney Tuesday afternoon.

Prosecutors looked at the files and then asked Andrews for "an additional investigation," DA spokeswoman Jane Robison said.


Andrews said that to keep photos and documents from leaking to the media, he has kept the case file closely guarded and allowed no copies of the material to be made.

Police have refused media requests to hear the 911 call that led to their investigation early Sunday, but Andrews said it mostly recorded the sound of "a screaming woman."

CNN's Jennifer Wolfe and Brittany Kaplan contributed to this report.

All About Chris Brown (Singer)Grammy AwardsLos AngelesLos Angeles Police Department

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print