Skip to main content

Cup holders Zenit sent crashing by Udinese

  • Story Highlights
  • Holders Zeniot St Petersburg bow out of the UEFA Cup to Itaian side Udinese
  • Favorites Manchester City move through after defeating Aalborg on penalties
  • Hamburg fight back from two-goal deficit to defeat former winners Galatasaray
  • Next Article in World Sport »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- UEFA Cup holders Zenit St Petersburg have crashed out of the competition 2-1 on aggregate at the last 16 stage, despite beating Serie A side Udinese 1-0 on Thursday.

Zenit coach Dick Advocaat could not prevent his UEFA Cup holders crshing out of the competition.

Zenit coach Dick Advocaat could not prevent his UEFA Cup holders crshing out of the competition.

Zenit captain Anatoliy Tymoschuk headed home the only goal in the 34th minute, but the visiting Italians controlled the second half to secure their place in the quarterfinals -- where they will be joined by two Ukrainian sides.

Ukraine has never previously had a team in the last eight of the competition, but were assured of at least one out of the clash between Metalist Kharkiv and Dynamo Kiev.

And it was Dynamo who emerged victorious, an own goal from Andriy Berezovchuk 11 minutes from time ensuring they went through on away goals following a 3-2 defeat.

Valentyn Slyusar and Jackson Coelho put Metalist 2-0 up on the night and 2-1 overall, before Goran Sablic pulled one back.

Football Fanzone
Football fans, the chance to have YOUR say on CNN is here!

Walter Acevedo looked to have settled the matter for the hosts with 20 minutes to go, only for Berezovchuk to put the ball into his own net and send Dynamo through.

They are joined in the quarterfinals by compatriots Shakhtar Donetsk as second-half goal from Fernandinho (penalty) and Luiz Adriano saw them turn around their 1-0 first-leg deficit against CSKA Moscow to go through 2-1 on aggregate.

Meanwhile, Bundesliga title chasers Hamburg are also through after a double from Paolo Guerrero helped them recover from a two-goal deficit to beat Turkish side Galatasaray 3-2 -- for a 4-3 aggregate win.

Goals from former Liverpool strikers Harry Kewell (penalty) and Milan Baros had given Galatasaray, the winners in 2000, the lead.

But two quick-fire efforts from Peruvian Guerrero early in the second half turned the tie around and Croatian international Ivica Olic beat the offside trap to add the icing on the cake for Hamburg in the final minute.

Tournament favorites Manchester City secured their quarterfinal spot in tense circumstances after defeating Danish side Aalborg in a penalty shoot-out.

City led 2-0 from the first leg and seemed to be coasting to victory. But a goal from Jamaican striker Luton Shelton in the 84th minute gave the home side hope, before a last-minute Michael Jakobsen penalty sent the match into extra time.

No futher goals were scored, and City held their nerve in the penalty shoot-out, scoring all of their kicks to go through 4-2 after Shelton missed the decisive penalty.

Paris St Germain became the second French side to qualify as a late goal from top scorer Guillaume Hoarau proved enough to give them a 1-0 victory at Portuguese side Braga, following a goalless first leg.

PSG join Marseille, who knocked out Dutch giants Ajax on Wednesday, in the last eight of the competition.

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print