(CNN) -- The International Criminal Court said Thursday that it will investigate the killing of nearly 160 protesters in Guinea -- allegedly by government troops.
Guinea's military ruler, Capt. Moussa Dadis Camara, seized power in a bloodless coup in December.
The demonstrators were killed September 28 when tens of thousands of people showed up at a stadium to protest the rule of Capt. Moussa Dadis Camara, who seized power in the West African nation in a bloodless coup in December, human rights groups said. Women allegedly also were raped during the melee.
"From the information we have received, from the pictures I have seen, women were abused or otherwise brutalized on the pitch of Conraky's stadium, apparently by men in uniform," said Deputy Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda.
"This is appalling, unacceptable. It must never happen again. Those responsible must be held accountable."
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last week blasted the Guinea government.
"The indiscriminate killing and raping that took place under government control by government troops was a vile violation of the rights of the people in that country," Clinton said.