Skip to main content
/asia
  Edition: U.S. | Arabic | Set Pref

Indonesia police: Suspects on the run

  • Story Highlights
  • NEW: Police conclude bombing investigation
  • Ibrohim, not Noordin, was killed in 18-hour raid
  • Ibrohim is member of Noordin's network, planned July attacks, police say
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- A handful of suspects in the twin suicide bombings in Jakarta, Indonesia, are on the run, national police said Wednesday.

A poster in Malang, East Java, Indonesia, has under "dicari," or"wanted," Noordin Top.

A poster in Malang, East Java, Indonesia, has under "dicari," or"wanted," Noordin Top.

"The police have concluded the investigation on the Marriott and Ritz-Carlton bombing," said police spokesman Nanan Soekarna. "Eight people have been arrested, and three to five are still on the run."

Police said they identified through DNA testing that Ibrohim, not Noordin Top -- Indonesia's most wanted terror suspect -- was killed in an 18-hour raid in Central Java during the weekend.

Ibrohim was "a member of Noordin's network," said Soekarna.

"After matching the DNA to the relatives of Noordin in Malaysia and Indonesia we can confirm that the body ... is not Noordin Top," said Edy Suparwoko of the national police disaster victim identification unit.

Police believe Ibrohim was the organizer and planner of last month's twin suicide bombings in Jakarta. Police had earlier said Noordin was the main suspect in those attacks because he claimed responsibility for them.

"Ibrohim attended all the meetings ... with Noordin M. Top and the other perpetrators," the spokesman said. "He had a major role in this bombing campaign."

Ibrohim worked as a florist at Jakarta's Marriott while staging last month's hotel attacks, according to police, who questioned other suspects in the case. Police said he used his position to smuggle a bomb into the hotel that was later used by one of suicide bombers, Dani.

The two also laid the groundwork for the bombing at the Ritz-Carlton, police said. Ibrohim shuttled the second suicide bomber, Nana, into the hotel on the day of the July 17 attacks.

The coordinated bombings killed seven people and the two suspected bombers and wounded more than 50.

It was the first major terrorist attack in Indonesia in more than three years.

The DNA evidence refuted law enforcement reports that Noordin, 41, had died. Video Watch what the discovery means »

Law enforcement sources told CNN on Saturday that Noordin was dead, but doubts emerged a short time later. Police never officially said he had been killed, but it was widely reported that he was dead.

The sources said Noordin was killed during a Detachment 88 raid that began Friday in the Central Java town of Temanggung and lasted 18 hours into Saturday. The information came from a police source and a security analyst with close ties to the police.

Noordin is reportedly an officer, recruiter, bomb-maker and trainer for a splinter group of the militant organization Jemaah Islamiyah, which has ties to al Qaeda.

advertisement

Police have hunted for Noordin for years, accusing him of involvement in the 2002 Bali nightclub bombing and attacks on the Marriott hotel in Jakarta in 2003 and Australian embassy in 2004.

The FBI in the United States added Noordin in February 2006 to its list of 10 suspected terrorists who have not been charged in the United States but are wanted for questioning.

CNN's Andy Saputra contributed to this report.

All About IndonesiaJakartaTerrorismNoordin Top

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print
Home  |  Asia  |  Europe  |  U.S.  |  World  |  World Business  |  Technology  |  Entertainment  |  World Sport  |  Travel
Podcasts  |  Blogs  |  CNN Mobile  |  RSS Feeds  |  Email Alerts  |  CNN Radio  |  Site Map
© 2009 Cable News Network. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.