Skip to main content
/asia
  Edition: U.S. | Arabic | Set Pref

Toll climbs to 608 in Indonesian quakes

  • Story Highlights
  • Death toll from two powerful earthquakes that struck Indonesia has risen to 608
  • 343 are still missing officially although the number could be closer to 1000
  • Chances of finding survivors from the 7.6 and 6.6-magnitude quakes are dwindling
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

PADANG, Indonesia (CNN) -- With little hope of finding additional survivors, authorities Monday began clearing the rubble left by a pair of devastating earthquakes that rocked Indonesia last week.

The death toll from the two earthquakes is expected to rise further.

The death toll from the two earthquakes is expected to rise further.

Authorities called off the rescue operation in Padang, and are now looking for bodies in the rubble, said Ade Edward, head of the rescue team.

The death toll from the quakes that struck Indonesia last week climbed to 608 on Monday, the government said.

Officials feared the tally could go much higher.

The National Agency for Disaster Management said Monday that 343 people had been reported missing, 285 of them in the Pariaman region of West Sumatra. Edward earlier estimated the actual number of missing could be closer to 1,000.

advertisement

A 7.6-magnitude quake struck Sumatra on Wednesday, followed by a 6.6-magnitude earthquake Thursday.

Wednesday's quake laid waste to buildings in the city of Padang, the capital of West Sumatra.

CNN's Kocha Olarn and Dan Rivers contributed to this report.

All About IndonesiaEarthquakes

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print
Home  |  Asia  |  Europe  |  U.S.  |  World  |  World Business  |  Technology  |  Entertainment  |  World Sport  |  Travel
Podcasts  |  Blogs  |  CNN Mobile  |  RSS Feeds  |  Email Alerts  |  CNN Radio  |  Site Map
© 2009 Cable News Network. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.