Skip to main content

Man City stun nine-man Chelsea as Bridge snubs Terry

  • Manchester City upset nine-man Premier League leaders Chelsea with 4-2 away win
  • City's Wayne Bridge refuses to shake hands with Chelsea captain John Terry
  • Build-up to match dominated by fallout of Terry's alleged affair with Bridge's ex-partner
  • Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey suffers horror broken leg in 3-1 win over Stoke City

(CNN) -- Manchester City upset nine-man Chelsea 4-2 on Saturday in an emotion-charged match that began with the visitors' defender Wayne Bridge refusing to shake the hand of the Premier League leaders' captain John Terry.

Bridge announced on Thursday that he would not be available for England's squad for the World Cup finals in South Africa due to revelations over former clubmate Terry's alleged affair with his ex-partner.

The fullback refused to take Terry's hand in the traditional pre-match handshake, and City continued on the offensive as Roberto Mancini's team climbed up to fourth place and left Chelsea just one point ahead of Manchester United.

Second-placed United face Aston Villa in the League Cup final at Wembley on Sunday, when Tottenham have the chance to reclaim fourth on goal difference with victory at home to Everton.

Video: Capello demands respect from players

Chelsea suffered their first home league defeat under coach Carlo Ancelotti, who took charge in pre-season, and City completed the home-and-away double over the Londoners for the first time since 1957.

The visitors were boosted by the return of Carlos Tevez, who scored twice after missing the past three matches to be with his wife in Argentina following the premature birth of their baby daughter, while fellow forward Craig Bellamy also netted a brace.

Chelsea took the lead in the 42nd minute when England midfielder Frank Lampard slotted home after being set free by Joe Cole, but Tevez leveled on the stroke of halftime when he turned Terry and scuffed in a shot that inexplicably beat stand-in goalkeeper Henrique Hilario.

The veteran Portuguese reserve, replacing the injured Petr Cech following Chelsea's 2-1 Champions League defeat by Inter Milan in midweek, was also at fault as Bellamy made it 2-1 six minutes after the interval.

The Welshman counterattacked from the halfway line and was able to force a shot under Hilario's body as City stunned the home fans, having not scored at Stamford Bridge since 2000.

Ancelotti brought on Juliano Belletti and Daniel Sturridge after an hour, but 15 minutes later his side were reduced to 10 men and 3-1 behind.

Belletti was handed a straight red card for a trip on England midfielder Gareth Barry, which allowed Tevez to score his second from the penalty spot and 21st overall this season.

The hosts then had Germany midfielder Michael Ballack sent off for a second yellow card after a foul on Tevez five minutes later, then Bellamy made it 4-1 on 87 when he pounced from close range on a low cross from winger Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Lampard scored a late consolation with a penalty in time added on after Barry fouled Nicolas Anelka, but it was too late to prevent ex-AC Milan boss Ancelotti suffering a defeat to his former Inter adversary Mancini.

Third-placed Arsenal moved within three points of Chelsea with a 3-1 victory at Stoke in the late game, which was marred by a horrific injury suffered by Wales midfielder Aaron Ramsey.

The 19-year-old was taken to hospital with a broken leg after a late tackle by Ryan Shawcross in the 66th minute, with the score 1-1.

The Stoke defender was sent off, but then later named by England coach Fabio Capello in the 24-man squad for Wednesday's friendly international against Egypt.

"I didn't see many bad tackles in the game but this one was horrendous," Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger told reporters. "I am just shocked because that is not football for me. It is not what I like in the game.

"The players are shocked, it is a bad fracture. He will be transferred to London tonight to see if he needs emergency surgery, but he will be out for a long time."

Shawcross, who left the field in tears and was driven home by his mother, according to the UK Press Association, had been involved in Stoke's eighth-minute opener as he flicked on a trademark long throw by Rory Delap for Danny Pugh to score.

Striker Nicklas Bendtner leveled in the 32nd minute with a header from a cross by captain Cesc Fabregas, who put Arsenal ahead in the 90th minute with a penalty after a handball by Pugh.

Defender Thomas Vermaelen sealed victory seven minutes into the injury-time required after Ramsey was treated, with substitute Eduardo setting him up after goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen blocked Tomas Rosicky's shot.

Birmingham moved above Everton into eighth place with a 1-0 victory at home to struggling Wigan as James McFadden netted the only goal from the penalty spot in first-half injury-time after Keith Fahey was fouled by Mario Melchiot.

Bolton moved out of the bottom three with a 1-0 victory at home to Wolverhampton, who were left hovering above the relegation zone on goal difference after defender Zat Knight scored the winner from close range just before halftime.

Bottom club Portsmouth earned a morale-boosting 2-1 win at Burnley, but are still almost certain to be relegated after going into administration on Friday, which will incur a nine-point penalty that would put them 15 adrift of Wolves.

Portsmouth held on to win despite Ricardo Rocha's second red card since signing in January, with Jamie O'Hara missing a second-half penalty before Algerian Hassan Yebda netted a 76th-minute winner from the spot.