(CNN) -- Tiger Woods has denied speculation that his neck injury is in any way related to the car crash last November that sparked the scandal over his marital infidelities.
The world's No. 1 golfer, who pulled out during the final round of the Players Championship on Sunday due to the problem, was speaking at a press day for the AT&T National tournament near Philadelphia where he hopes to defend his title on July 1-4.
The 34-year-old told reporters that the injury had "zero connection" to the accident outside his Florida home in the early hours of November 27, which saw him taken to hospital with a sore neck and cut lip.
"It started bugging me about two weeks before the Masters. At first it was on and off, now it's just at a point where I can't go anymore," Woods said.
"I can deal with the pain, but once it locked up I couldn't go back or come through. It was a frustrating end -- for me not to play all 18 holes, that was as angry and frustrated as I've been in a long time."
Woods said he planned to have an MRI scan when he returns to Orlando, and he won't be able to honor his commitment to play at next month's U.S. Open at Pebble Beach, where he won the title 10 years ago, until he learns the outcome.
Woods returned to golf at the Masters in April after a six-month absence, but admitted that he may have come back too early despite finishing fourth at Augusta.
"It's possible one of the reasons this thing flared up is because I wasn't conditioned to it," he said. "I had been away for a long time, and I came back and ramped up really quickly in order to play the Masters, and the body wasn't quite ready for that.
"You can be in lifting shape, but then to play in sports shape is two totally different shapes, and I wasn't ready for that."
Woods, who was dropped by his former sponsor AT&T at the start of this year despite being a previous host of the event, said he was expecting a strong reception from fans as it moves to Aronimink Golf Club after three years at Congressional Country Club.
"I expect them to be loud and rowdy, there's no doubt. I think they'll be supportive. I hope people come out and support this event," he said.
When asked if his wife Elin and his two children would attend the tournament, he said: "It's a little too early for that."