Alex Ferguson's top 25 moments in charge of Manchester Utd
November 5, 2011 -- Updated 1826 GMT (0226 HKT)
If there's one quote to associate with Ferguson's reign, it's surely that which he offered up in 2002. "My greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their f**king perch...and you can print that," he said. When United claimed their 19th title last season, eclipsing Liverpool's record, he achieved his aim.
1. Knocking Liverpool "off their perch"
2. Signing Eric Cantona
3. Saving Beckham
4. Sending Keegan over the edge
5. Dropping Leighton
6. Convincing Giggs to choose United
7. Replacing Beckham with Ronaldo
8. Laying down the law
9. Making Alan Hansen eat his words
10. Putting the devil back in Red Devils
11. Taking wine with Mourinho
12. Battling the BBC
13. Undermining Le Professeur
14. Keeping faith in Stam
15. Blaming defeat on the kit
16. Crashing Sharpe's party
17. Waiting for Ruud
18. Ending the title drought
19. Inventing "squeaky bum time"
20. Chewing for Britain
21. Kicking a boot at Beckham
22. Cancelling his retirement
23. Motivating United in Moscow
24. Bowing to Barca
25. Winning the treble
- Will Tidey chronicles the top 25 moments of Alex Ferguson's Manchester United career
- Ferguson will reach 25 years in charge of Manchester United on Sunday
- The Scot has won 37 trophies in his quarter of a decade at Old Trafford
Editor's note: Will Tidey is the author of 'Life with Sir Alex: A Fan's Story of Ferguson's 25 Years at Manchester United', which is available now via Bloomsbury.
(CNN) -- Alex Ferguson's quarter of a century in charge of Manchester United has been rich and varied and, of course, accompanied by a glittering list of trophies.
From the joyous highs of European Champions League triumphs in Barcelona and Moscow, to the lows of bust-ups with David Beckham and watching Jose Mourinho pip him to two titles, every moment has been played out in the full glare of the media spotlight.
With countless memorable quotes and games under his belt, Ferguson will celebrate his 25 years in charge of the Premier League champions on Sunday, a day after his side face Sunderland in their quest for a record 20th league title.
Here, CNN World Sport chronicles the key moments of his momentous reign at Old Trafford as he survived an indifferent start to his United career to become one of the most successful managers the English game has ever seen.
Today's five most popular stories