Cookie consent

We use cookies to improve your experience on this website. By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more | Cookie preferences

Military police try to halt Cairo skirmishes

    Just Watched

    Cat-and-mouse game in Cairo's Tahrir Square

Cat-and-mouse game in Cairo's Tahrir Square 02:44

Story highlights

  • Egypt's grand mufti calls on police to put down their weapons
  • The death toll in five days of violence has risen to 35, officials say
  • The number of injured stands at 3,250, Egyptian Health Ministry says
  • U.N. human rights chief calls on Egypt to stop "the clearly excessive use of force"

Military police poured into Cairo's Tahrir Square on Wednesday in hopes of stopping clashes between protesters and police, as the Egyptian government said a truce had been declared through a group of clerics.

The truce lasted about three hours.

CNN saw military police lined up, separating protesters from the police.

But after a period of calm, some protesters began throwing rocks at soldiers. Riot police responded with tear gas; the unrest continued late Wednesday.

Some army soldiers tried to stop security forces from shooting tear gas, but they were outnumbered.

On state-run TV, the government said religious scholars were on their way "to form a human shield between the protesters and the security forces."

    CNN saw no sign of a human shield of clerics. But along the barricades separating protesters from security forces, some clerics were talking to protesters, trying to negotiate.

    Egypt's grand mufti, the country's highest religious official, called on police to put down their weapons and "never aim" firearms at the Egyptian people. In an audio message aired by Egyptian state TV, he called for a "peaceful protest for Egypt's sake."

    Protesters reached Fahmi Street, which leads to the Interior Ministry, and were trying to surround the ministry, state-run Al-Masriya TV said.

    Earlier, police pulled back from Mohamed Mahmoud Street, the site of clashes throughout the five days of the latest uprising.

      Just Watched

      Military separates police, protesters

    Military separates police, protesters 04:04

      Just Watched

      U.S. students in police custody in Egypt

    U.S. students in police custody in Egypt 01:44

      Just Watched

      Egyptians restless, again

    Egyptians restless, again 02:25

    Adel Saeed, spokesman for the Egyptian general prosecutor's office, said "a truce has been reached between the protesters and the security forces at the Ministry of Interior through several leading religious scholars."

    It was not immediately clear who may have been represented in the discussions to which Saeed referred.

    Mohamed Mahmoud Street leads from Tahrir Square -- the center of the protests that toppled Hosni Mubarak as president in February and of the most recent demonstrations -- toward the Interior Ministry.

    During a lull in the street battles earlier Wednesday, CNN saw riot police embracing and kissing some young people who were taking part in the demonstrations. Minutes later, rocks and tear gas were in the air again.

    Protesters erected barriers using debris from burned-out cars and large trash bins in case the battles resumed.

    Crowds have packed Tahrir Square since Saturday, calling for the nation's military rulers to step down immediately. The demonstrations Wednesday were a vociferous rejection of Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, field marshal of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, who delivered an address Tuesday aimed at calming the protests.

    "The people demand the downfall of the council of shame," some demonstrators chanted Wednesday.

    Through the state-run news agency MENA, the government said that the army was "exerting all efforts to stop bloodshed of Egyptians" and that the military had deployed three armored vehicles to Mohamed Mahmoud Street.

    The death toll in the latest clashes has risen to 35, including 31 people in Cairo and four in other cities, state-run television said Wednesday.

    The number of wounded is up to 3,250, according to Hisham Sheeha, spokesman for Egypt's Health Ministry.

    Saeed, of the Egyptian general prosecutor's office, said 312 people had been arrested since Saturday.

    Security forces could be seen making arrests Wednesday. Egyptian-American filmmaker Jehane Noujaim was among those arrested, according to Karim Amer, a film producer who said he was with her when she was filming events close to the Interior Ministry.

    "The military started firing tear gas so we all ran in different directions and I lost her," Amer said. "She called me and said she was arrested by military. " A CNN e-mail to, which lists Noujaim as director, was not immediately returned.

      Just Watched

      Egypt's interim leader addresses people

    Egypt's interim leader addresses people 02:07

      Just Watched

      Egypt's economy grinds to a halt

    Egypt's economy grinds to a halt 01:30

      Just Watched

      Walking through Tahrir Square

    Walking through Tahrir Square 01:25

      Just Watched

      More violent clashes in Tahrir Square

    More violent clashes in Tahrir Square 01:56

    Meanwhile, the mother of one of the three American students detained in Egypt said Wednesday that she was able to speak to him briefly in a telephone call arranged by U.S. diplomats.

    "He sounded scared, but he said he was OK," Joy Sweeney said of her son, Derrik Sweeney, one of three American college students being held for questioning in an Egyptian courthouse, accused by authorities of throwing Molotov cocktails in Tahrir Square.

    The students will be detained another four days as an investigation continues, said a spokesman for the office of Egypt's general prosecutor.

    An official from the U.S. consular office visited the students, said U.S. Embassy spokeswoman Katharina Gollner-Sweet.

    The chaos and fighting have raised new questions about Egypt's future less than a week before parliamentary elections are set to begin.

    U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay called on Egypt "to end the clearly excessive use of force."

    "Some of the images coming out of Tahrir, including the brutal beating of already subdued protesters, are deeply shocking, as are the reports of unarmed protesters being shot in the head," Pillay said in a statement. "There should be a prompt, impartial and independent investigation, and accountability for those found responsible for the abuses that have taken place should be ensured."

    After Mubarak's ouster, military leaders took control with the promise that eventually a civilian government would be elected and take over.

    Demonstrators say they are concerned the military, which would continue to be Egypt's top authority until a president is in place, wants to keep a grip on the country.

    Many also have voiced anger about a proposed constitutional change that would shield the military's budget from scrutiny by civilian powers. They say they worry the military would become a state within a state.

    Members of the nation's Cabinet offered to resign Monday, with one minister citing concern over the violence in Tahrir Square.

    Tantawi of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces said the resignations were accepted, but the current government will remain as a caretaker until a prime minister is named to form a new government.

    Speaking Tuesday on Egyptian TV, Tantawi said the armed forces were "only concerned about the security of the country and the interests of the country," and want to "establish democracy for the people of Egypt."

      Egypt's Revolution

    • Salafist presidential candidate Hazem Abu Ismail's supporters take part in a demonstration outside the State Council court in Cairo on Wednesday.

      Egypt's administrative court has suspended the country's 100-member constitutional assembly. What does that say about the country's progress toward political reform?
    • Flames rise from Cairo Stadium as fans riot during a soccer match in Cairo, Egypt, on Wednesday.

      On February 1, riots at a football match in Port Said plunged Egypt into mourning and despair -- the future of one of African soccer's traditional powerhouses seemed bleak.
    • Flares are thrown in the stadium during clashes that erupted after a football match between Egypt's Al-Ahly and Al-Masry teams in Port Said.

      Political tensions flare after more than 70 people die and hundreds are injured when fans riot at a soccer match in the Egyptian city of Port Said.
    • Fans storm on to the pitch during riots that erupted after the football match between Al-Masry and Al-Ahly.

      The scenes in Port Said will leave an indelible mark on post-revolution Egypt because soccer matters more here than anywhere, argues James Montague.
    • for use with CNN Photos blog- one year anniversary of Egypt uprising

      An Egyptian photographer found himself in the middle of the Arab Spring. Months after the demonstrations died down, he returned to document what had changed.
    • The protests in Egypt that toppled Hosni Mubarak began one year ago today. But some are asking now: What's the difference?
    • An Egyptian girl shouts slogans against the military in Cairo's Tahrir Square on December 23, 2011 as people gathered for a mass rally against the ruling military, which sparked outrage when its soldiers were taped beating women protesters.

      It's been a year since the mass protests started in Egypt but one author says the seeds of revolution were sown years ago.