Asked by Todd, Mississippi
I heard that someone in my area died recently of West Nile virus. I try to avoid mosquito bites but sometimes still get bitten. What symptoms would I expect if I have the infection?
Living Well Expert
Dr. Jennifer Shu
Children's Medical Group
Thanks for your question. West Nile virus, so called because it was first reported in the West Nile District of Uganda in 1937, made its way to the United States by 1999.
As you mentioned, the virus is transmitted by mosquitoes, so the best way to prevent getting the infections is to avoid mosquito bites by using insect repellents, covering up with clothing, and if possible staying indoors at dusk and dawn.
Fortunately, most people (about 80%) do not show any signs of illness when infected with the virus and never know they have it. The remaining 20% or so may develop fever, aches, nausea or vomiting that can last days to weeks. About one out of 150 people will experience severe symptoms such as high fever, muscle weakness or paralysis, seizures and coma, which may possibly result in long-term neurological problems or even death.
Of note, individuals over age 50 are more likely to have serious illness from West Nile virus.
Anyone with the symptoms of severe illness, especially within about two weeks after a mosquito bite, is advised to seek medical care. Laboratory tests of the blood and/or spinal fluid can confirm infection with the disease.
Animals such as horses and birds may also get infected with the virus, and while it does not appear that animals can transmit the disease to humans, it's best to use caution when handling animals that may be sick from West Nile virus.
|Most Viewed||Most Emailed|
CNN Comment Policy: CNN encourages you to add a comment to this discussion. You may not post any unlawful, threatening, defamatory, obscene, pornographic or other material that would violate the law. All comments should be relevant to the topic and remain respectful of other authors and commenters. You are solely responsible for your own comments, the consequences of posting those comments, and the consequences of any reliance by you on the comments of others. By submitting your comment, you hereby give CNN the right, but not the obligation, to post, air, edit, exhibit, telecast, cablecast, webcast, re-use, publish, reproduce, use, license, print, distribute or otherwise use your comment(s) and accompanying personal identifying and other information you provide via all forms of media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide, in perpetuity. CNN Privacy Statement.
The information contained on this page does not and is not intended to convey medical advice. CNN is not responsible for any actions or inaction on your part based on the information that is presented here. Please consult a physician or medical professional for personal medical advice or treatment.