Skip to main content

2 grenade attacks leave 2 dead, 12 wounded in Kashmir

By Mukhtar Ahmad, CNN
  • NEW: Police spokesman says two died as the result of an initial attack
  • NEW: 10 civlians were wounded in Srinagar in a second attack
  • No group has claimed responsibiity for either blast

Srinagar, India (CNN) -- A civilian and an Indian paramilitary trooper were killed and two other people were wounded in a grenade attack Thursday in Baramulla in north Kashmir.

Then, hours later, at least 10 civilians were wounded in another grenade attack in the heart of Srinagar, according to authorities.

In the first attack, a police spokesman said that militants hurled a grenade at a paramilitary border security force (BSF) party which was busy making purchases in Baramulla, 55 kms (34 miles) from Srinagar, the summer capital of Indian administered Kashmir.

"The grenade exploded injuring four persons including two civilians and two BSF troopers. The injured were evacuated to hospital immediately," the spokesman said.

"A critically injured civilian succumbed to injuries in the hospital," the spokeman said. Later, the spokesman said one of two paramilitary troops had also died.

The blast triggered panic in the town forcing shops, traffic and other businesses to shut.

Security forces cordoned off the area.

In the second attack, a police spokesman said militants hurled a grenade at a passing vehicle of the Indian paramilitary central reserve police force (CRPF) as the vehicle drove through Srinager.

The grenade missed its target and exploded on the road injuring the 10 civilian passers-by. The injured were evacuated to hospital for treatment.

The grenade was hurled at the paramilitary vehicle near the main inter-district bus stand at Batmallo which usually is bustling with activity.

No militant organization has claimed responsibility for either of the attacks, which come after a deadly gunfight on the Line of Control last week left a dozen militants and an Indian army officer dead.

The army had said the militants were trying to cross over into the Indian side of the Line of Control, the de-facto border between Indian and Pakistan administered parts of Kashmir.

Kashmir has been in the throes of a separatist violence for more than 20 years. That fighting has so far claimed more than 40,000 lives, according to an official count.