Security raised at some U.S. bases in Afghanistan
March 12, 2012 -- Updated 2228 GMT (0628 HKT)
U.S. soldiers keep watch at the entrance of a military base near Alkozai village following the shooting of Afghan civilians allegedly committed by a U.S. soldier in Panjwayi district, Kandahar province on March 11, 2012.
- Some precautions were put in place after the Quran-burning incident
- Battalion and company commanders have the discretion to take such action, an official says
- Gen. John Allen says the troops should continue to engage and partner with Afghans
(CNN) -- Some U.S. commanders in Afghanistan have ordered heightened security in the wake of recent events, a senior defense official told CNN Monday.
Some of the precautions were put in place in the wake of the violence that followed the burning of copies of the Quran by U.S. troops last month, the official said. Sunday's fatal shooting of 16 Afghan civilians allegedly by American soldier have added to concerns.
Shooting could impact military mission
The precautions could include, for example, adding a second U.S. soldier to watch towers, where before there was one American and one Afghan on watch, the defense official said. American and Afghan forces live together on many of the smaller bases and outposts, and on some of these the United States has instituted a 24-hour guard of their barracks.
The official would not confirm the specific procedures in place at each forward operating base, but said, "Those changes are all within the right of any commander to institute. I won't deny that several may have felt it was necessary to do so."
The official said battalion and even company commanders at combat outposts are "given the discretion and authority to weigh their individual security concerns and take appropriate action."
He said the security changes "are not coming from the top," meaning they are not directed by NATO's International Security Assistance Force or the Pentagon.
The top commander of U.S. and NATO forces, Gen. John Allen, said the troops should continue in their mission, according to another military official, Capt. John Kirby. While force protection is "always a priority," there has not been an increase in protection forces overall, Kirby said.
Allen "gave direction to his commanders on Saturday right after hearing about (the shooting) incident to continue to engage, to keep getting out there, to keep partnering with the Afghan forces," Kirby said in an interview with CNN on Monday. "It's absolutely vital that we try to move past this. The only way to move past this is to continue to engage and to operate with the Afghan partners."
Part of complete coverage on
Slaughter in Afghanistan
March 23, 2012 -- Updated 0218 GMT (1018 HKT)
Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales will be charged with 17 counts of murder and six counts of assault and attempted murder, a U.S. official said.
March 22, 2012 -- Updated 1253 GMT (2053 HKT)
His lawyer says Sgt. Robert Bales may have post-traumatic stress disorder or a brain injury. What's the link between violence and those disorders?
March 21, 2012 -- Updated 1101 GMT (1901 HKT)
Robert Bales' attorney says he's in shock and worried about family as he stands accused of killing Afghan civilians.
March 20, 2012 -- Updated 1720 GMT (0120 HKT)
An Army soldier accused of killing Afghan civilians was not drunk but doesn't remember what happened and is in shock, his lawyer said.
March 19, 2012 -- Updated 1747 GMT (0147 HKT)
CNN's Suzanne Malveaux talks with Dean Obeidallah, who wrote an op-ed on the Afghan Massacre Victims
March 19, 2012 -- Updated 1235 GMT (2035 HKT)
Video: Afghan President Hamid Karzai cast doubt on the U.S. account of a shooting rampage after meeting with the families of victims.
March 20, 2012 -- Updated 1720 GMT (0120 HKT)
A retired U.S. general suggested the fallout from the massacre could lead to American troops' beginning to return home within weeks.
March 20, 2012 -- Updated 1046 GMT (1846 HKT)
CNN's Dan Simon has new details about alleged killer Staff Sgt. Robert. Bales' financial troubles and his prior arrest.
March 20, 2012 -- Updated 0022 GMT (0822 HKT)
Shocked friends of Staff Sgt. Robert Bales say he was passionately committed to serving his country and cared deeply for others.
March 19, 2012 -- Updated 0148 GMT (0948 HKT)
Video: Witnesses offer accounts of the massacre in Kandahar; Taliban tells why it suspended peace talks. Sara Sidner reports.
March 19, 2012 -- Updated 1500 GMT (2300 HKT)
Video: CNN's Dan Simon visits the former U.S. home of Staff Sgt. Robert Bales to learn more about the accused shooter.
March 17, 2012 -- Updated 0044 GMT (0844 HKT)
The attorney representing Staff Sgt. Robert Bales is a pugnacious trial lawyer who doesn't shy from the hardest cases.
Today's five most popular stories