Former No.1 Clijsters to miss French Open with a hip injury

Kim Clijsters says she is determined to return for Wimbledon and the Olympics later this year.

Story highlights

  • Kim Clijsters pulls out of this year's French Open
  • Clijsters is battling to shrug off a hip problem
  • Belgian ace hopes to return for Wimbledon and the 2012 Olympics
  • Clijsters is a four-time grand slam champion

Former world number one Kim Clijsters said Tuesday that she will skip the French Open next month in an attempt to get fit for Wimbledon and the Olympics this summer.

The 28-year-old Belgian picked up a hip injury during the WTA tournament in Miami last month and has been struggling to recover.

"My current physical condition does not allow me to get into top shape for Roland Garros," read a statement on her official website.

"However I cannot wait to begin a long period of preparation for the grass court season, with the main objectives Wimbledon and the Olympics."

The four-time grand slam champion hopes to return to action in the Unicef Open in Rosmalen in the Netherlands on June 17, just ahead of Wimbledon.

Clijsters, who made a triumphant return to tennis two years after quitting the sport in 2007 to start a family, has been plagued by injury for the past 12 months.

After winning the 2011 Australian Open, Clijsters turned her ankle at a friend's wedding and went out of the French Open in the second round.

Further injury problems saw Clijsters miss both Wimbledon and the U.S. Open where she was two-time defending champion.

Returning for her defense of the Australian Open, Clijsters reached the semifinals before losing to eventual winner Victoria Azarenka.

She appeared to be heading back to her best but the latest injury setback has halted her progress and led to media speculation "virorously denied" that she was about to quit for the second time.