Di Matteo confirmed as permanent Chelsea manager

New Chelsea manager Roberto di Matteo spent six years at the club as a player between 1996 and 2002.

Story highlights

  • Roberto di Matteo has been appointed permanent manager of Chelsea
  • The Italian guided Chelsea to their first European Champions League triumph in May
  • Former Chelsea player also led the club to FA Cup success
  • Premier League nets an increase of $1.95 billion in its new UK television deal

Chelsea has rewarded Roberto di Matteo for guiding the English club to its first European Champions League triumph by appointing him as manager on a permanent basis.

The Italian, who also guided the London team to English FA Cup glory, has been handed a two-year contract.

The former Chelsea midfielder took temporary charge of the team following the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas in March, having previously served as the Portuguese's assistant.

"Chelsea football club is delighted to announce that Roberto Di Matteo has been appointed manager and first-team coach on a permanent basis," the four-time English champion's website reported Wednesday.

Di Matteo, who played for Chelsea between 1996 and 2002, oversaw the team's dramatic penalty shootout win in European club football's biggest match in May.

"I'm obviously delighted to have been appointed as manager and first-team coach," the former West Bromwich Albion and MK Dons manager said.

Fans celebrate Chelsea win
Fans celebrate Chelsea win

    JUST WATCHED

    Fans celebrate Chelsea win

MUST WATCH

Fans celebrate Chelsea win 01:13
PLAY VIDEO
Chelsea player: Win feels incredible
Chelsea player: Win feels incredible

    JUST WATCHED

    Chelsea player: Win feels incredible

MUST WATCH

Chelsea player: Win feels incredible 01:43
PLAY VIDEO
Didier Drogba leaves Chelsea
Didier Drogba leaves Chelsea

    JUST WATCHED

    Didier Drogba leaves Chelsea

MUST WATCH

Didier Drogba leaves Chelsea 03:55
PLAY VIDEO

"We all achieved incredible success last season that made history for this great club. Our aim is to continue building on that and I'm already planning and looking forward to the squad's return for preseason."

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay said he was confident the former Italy international could continue his early success.

"Roberto's quality was clear for all to see when he galvanized the squad last season and helped the club make history, and the owner and board are very pleased he will be continuing his good work," said Gourlay.

"We will be working closely with Roberto in the weeks ahead, some exciting signings have already been made and Roberto has had input into those.

"Although he has set the bar very high in the short time he has been in charge, we know that Roberto is the right man to lead Chelsea onto further success."

Chelsea's Russian owner Roman Abramovich has already bankrolled two big-money signings in recent months, in a bid to improve on a sixth-place Premier League finish last season -- the club's worst position during his eight-year reign.

Germany playmaker Marko Marin has been signed from Bundesliga team Werder Bremen, while highly-rated Belgium attacker Eden Hazard has been recruited from Lille in France.

Meanwhile, the Premier League has sold its UK live television rights for 2013-16 for £3.018 billion ($4.7 billion) to current broadcaster Sky and newcomer BT.

The deal is £1.254 billion ($1.95 billion) higher than the present one shared by Sky and ESPN, which took over the packages held by financially troubled Setanta Sports in 2009 but missed out completely this time.

Sky has five of the seven packages, for 116 matches in total, while multinational telecoms company BT will show 38 games live.

        Football Focus

      • French football great bids adieu

        After 20 years, more than 300 goals and a host of major honors, Thierry Henry has called time on his glittering football career.
      • Mario's 'Queen' tweet tops 2014 list

        He might be struggling to score goals for Liverpool, but Mario Balotelli's cheeky tweet about the British monarch hit the spot during the World Cup.
      • bpr south african soccor senzo meyiwa death _00000402.jpg

        Loss of a South African 'icon'

        Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
      • German alleged jihadist Kreshnik B (R) listens to his lawyer Mutlu Guenal (L) as he arrives at the higher regional court in Frankfurt. His face is pixelated for legal reasons.

        From Jewish football to ISIS suspect

        Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
      • Where has 'Super' Mario gone?

        One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
      • Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.

        Should rapist return to work?

        Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
      • Teen, 15, makes Euro history

        Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.