Juventus coach Conte loses appeal against 10-month ban

Antonio Conte arrives for his appeal hearing before the disciplinary commission of the Italian Football League at the Federal Court of Justice in Rome.

Story highlights

  • Antonio Conte's appeal against a 10-month ban rejected
  • Juve coach Conte implicated in match fixing scandal at previous club Siena
  • Juventus start Serie A title defense Saturday against Parma
  • Giampaolo Pazzini and Antonio Cassano swap Milan clubs

Juventus coach Antonio Conte has failed to overturn a 10-month ban for his role in a match fixing scandal after the Italian Football Federation (FICG) rejected his appeal Wednesday.

Conte led Juve to the Serie A title last season but was punished for failing to report alleged corruption in two Serie B matches when he was previously in charge of then second flight Siena.

The 43-year-old was handed his suspension on August 10 and appeared in person this week before the disciplinary commission of the FICG at the Federal Court of Justice in Rome to argue his case.

But his pleas have been rejected. "The Federal Court of Justice can confirm the 10-month disqualification for Antonio Conte," said a statement on the FICG website.

"It was decided to acquit Conte for his role in the Novara-Siena game, but the 10-month disqualification stands as a disciplinary commission sanction concerning Albinoleffe-Siena."

Juventus president: 'Proud' of ourselves
Juventus president: 'Proud' of ourselves

    JUST WATCHED

    Juventus president: 'Proud' of ourselves

MUST WATCH

Juventus president: 'Proud' of ourselves 03:27
PLAY VIDEO
Can AC Milan rebuild this season?
Can AC Milan rebuild this season?

    JUST WATCHED

    Can AC Milan rebuild this season?

MUST WATCH

Can AC Milan rebuild this season? 02:54
PLAY VIDEO
Waking a sleeping football giant
Waking a sleeping football giant

    JUST WATCHED

    Waking a sleeping football giant

MUST WATCH

Waking a sleeping football giant 03:27
PLAY VIDEO
French football club spends big
French football club spends big

    JUST WATCHED

    French football club spends big

MUST WATCH

French football club spends big 02:45
PLAY VIDEO

Conte is the most prominent figure caught up in the so-called 'Calcioscommesse' illegal betting scandal -- largely confined to clubs in the second flight Serie B of Italian football.

His suspension leaves Juventus without a coach for the start of their title defense against Parma in Turin Saturday although Conte is allowed to participate on the training ground.

Gianni Merlo, the chief sports writer of Gazzetta Dello Sport, told CNN that Juventus would launch a further appeal to the Court of Arbitration of the Italian Olympic Committee next month.

"Juventus has defended him very strongly, the president of Juventus (Andrea Agnelli) has said this is a kind of witchhunt, but he is very inexperienced in these matters," he added.

Agnelli appointed Conte before the start of last campaign and his first season in charge proved a triumph as the Turin giants swept to the Scudetto for a record 28th time.

In their ruling, FICG has shown a measure of clemency to Conte's assistant Angelo Alessio, who saw his ban cut from eight months to six months after he was found guilty of the same offenses at Siena.

Lecce's appeal against demotion from Serie B was rejected, but Grosseto were reinstated to the division.

The affair has unhappy echoes of the previous match fixing scandal which swept Italian football six years ago and led to Juventus being stripped of two titles and demoted to Serie B.

Meanwhile, ahead of the new season a major transfer switch was completed Wednesday with AC Milan and Inter agreeing to swap strikers Giampaolo Pazzini and Antonio Cassano.

Milan, who will play in the Champions League this season, have also additionally paid €7m ($8.73m) to secure Pazzini.

Cassano, who battled a heart condition before playing a key role for Italy in Euro 2012 campaign, has signed a two-year deal at Inter.

"Finally, after what seems like an eternity, I've signed for the club I've always supported," he told Inter's official website.

        Football Focus

      • French football great bids adieu

        After 20 years, more than 300 goals and a host of major honors, Thierry Henry has called time on his glittering football career.
      • Mario's 'Queen' tweet tops 2014 list

        He might be struggling to score goals for Liverpool, but Mario Balotelli's cheeky tweet about the British monarch hit the spot during the World Cup.
      • bpr south african soccor senzo meyiwa death _00000402.jpg

        Loss of a South African 'icon'

        Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
      • German alleged jihadist Kreshnik B (R) listens to his lawyer Mutlu Guenal (L) as he arrives at the higher regional court in Frankfurt. His face is pixelated for legal reasons.

        From Jewish football to ISIS suspect

        Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
      • Where has 'Super' Mario gone?

        One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
      • Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.

        Should rapist return to work?

        Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
      • Teen, 15, makes Euro history

        Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.